The Gauntlet

Five new Netflix and Prime shows you don’t want miss

Has your streaming selection run dry? These Netflix and Prime shows will fill your time with meaningful, quality television.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Cade Westberry, Staff Writer

Ozark – After Marty Byrde’s partner cheats a deal with a Mexican drug lord, he is killed and Marty, who is played by Jason Bateman, goes into a witness protection program. This is a Netflix original that already has two seasons. The show was created by Bill Dubuque, who most notably was responsible for the 2016 action film The Accountant starring Ben Affleck and the 2014 drama blockbuster, The Judge, with Robert Downey Jr. and Robert Duvall. With a 94% approval rating on Google, this is an intriguing show in the crime and thriller genre if you are currently looking for something new. This would be a great show if you have seen and liked Breaking Bad. 

Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan – Jim Halpert is back in action. The star from the hit show, The Office, takes a bit of a different role in this show on Amazon Prime. In this TV/MA rated series, John Krasinski plays former U.S. Marine Jack Ryan who is now a CIA analyst and is tracking down a terrorist named Suleiman who is causing havoc across the world. The show has a 97% approval rating on google. Only the first season has come out with only eight episodes that are an hour long, so this is a great show to start and stick with if you’re binging life is dry right now.

The Ranch – After Ashton Kutcher’s character Colt’s failed semi-pro football career, he returns to his family’s ranch in Colorado. As he plans to take over the ranching business from his father, problems rise for him regarding different aspects of his life. 

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel – This show takes place in the late 1950’s with Miriam “Midge” Maisel who is living her ideal life with a husband and their two kids. Her life takes a turn when she discovers she has a talent for stand-up comedy. Her up-and-coming story follows her as she rises to comedy stardom. With a 95% on Rotten Tomatoes, this show is a must see for those of you out there who need a new show. 

The Punisher – This new 2018 Netflix series follows Marvel character Frank Castle. After returning from overseas, the ex-marine’s family is murdered. He hunts down and kills everyone responsible and the first and only season so far follows his story afterwards. This action-packed thriller of a series has a plot that will keep you guessing. Jon Bernthal, who most notably played Shane from the Walking Dead, thrives in the role of Frank Castle. With a 97% approval rating on Google, if you are into action and a compelling story, this is a show for you.