Shoe Drive ties together Saint Stephen’s community

The freshman class is hosting a cross-divisional shoe drive; here’s what you need to know.
Grace Baxendale
Drop your used shoes off at one of the fundraisers’s designated bins.

From March 4th to March 28th, the Freshman class is hosting a cross-divisional shoe drive. Partnered with GotSneakers, the fundraiser is accepting new and slightly worn shoes for donation to local families in need. Simply tie your shoes together by the laces, and drop them off in one of the designated bins around campus. 

Each division is competing head-to-head in a race to see who donates the most shoes. The winning division will receive a prize students will not want to miss out on. 

Isabelle Mills is one of the freshmen running the shoe drive. She  explained the reasons the class of 2027 organized the shoe drive. 

“We wanted to do a fundraiser while also giving back to the community,” Mills said. “The funds are going to next year’s homecoming dance, but the main purpose was to give back to others.”

Mills believes the shoe drive has also united the Saint Stephen’s community.

“The shoe drive is definitely bringing the lower and intermediate schools together because [the amount of shoes donated] have been very close, so it’s making a fun rivalry, and the grade levels within the divisions are being brought together,” Mills commented.

GotSneakers’ mission is to “recycle and reuse quality pre-loved sneakers.” By recycling shoes, the fundraiser aims to make shoes more affordable and accessible to communities in need. Additionally the drive prevents clothing from piling up in landfills. In order to fulfill that promise, the shoes that cannot be given to communities still get recycled and reused for materials. 

In light of GoSneakers mission, History department chair Mr. Patrick Whelan shared the benefits of recycling shoes.

“Children in highschool and especially younger students, grow out of shoes really quickly,” Whelan said, “and for parents that are buying shoes for kids, that gets to be very difficult. So there are two good things that come out of [the drive]… [The shoes] can still be sent to people who might not otherwise be able to have them. And on the flip side, giving shoes to kids can really help a family that is struggling, and take care of something that might be an unexpected or unwelcome cost.” 

While it might not seem like a huge sacrifice, one pair of shoes can change a lot for families in need. 

The winning division will be announced on the last day of the shoe drive, Thursday, March 28th. If you own any used shoes, don’t hesitate to bring them to the donation bin tomorrow.

1