Priscilla Webley Spotlight

You may have seen her in the halls, or more likely the gym, Junior Priscilla Webley is a force to be reckoned with.
Jaison Sterling
This February, Webly and her teammates were asked to participated in a photography workshop for RockTown Media.

Junior Priscilla Webley is approaching the end of her second year of high school weightlifting, concluding an impressive season not only for her personal performance but for her team as a whole.

This year, the girls weightlifting team won the district title in both the Olympic and traditional categories, qualifying 20 girls to compete at the regional championships. Of the 20, five had the opportunity to compete at the state level, going against some of the biggest competitors in Florida.

After only a few years of weightlifting experience, Webley’s career is nothing short of admirable.  She finished 1st in the district in her weight class, and was one of five Falcons who qualified for the state tournament.

Starting her weightlifting journey in sixth grade, Priscilla’s interest in the sport was sparked by her family’s active lifestyle.

“I’ve seen my sister doing sports and working out, and my dad going to the gym, so they really got me interested in it,” Webley said.

Priscilla says the thought of lifting each day with her friends and getting stronger makes her the happiest. Her community in the weight room has been a major part of her success.

Priscilla was accompanied by her friends and teammates at the 2024 State Championships. (Anna Conn)

When asked what advice she would give to newcomers, she emphasizes the practice of self-belief, patience, and avoiding comparisons between you and other lifters.

Priscilla says, “Comparison is the thief of joy. You have to take joy in the accomplishments you do, no matter how someone else is doing.”

Looking at her personal growth, Webley says she has noticed a drastic increase in not only her happiness but her discipline, and patience too.

“Progress takes time and doesn’t always come immediately,” she says, “I had to learn how to trust the process and my coaches so I could get better.”

Webley prepares for one of her lifts at Districts. (Russell Black)

Regarding her future, Priscilla dreams of competing at big meets on both the collegiate and international levels.

“I want to keep going to see how far I can go with weightlifting because it is something I’ve learned to love so much,” she shares.

Priscilla’s achievements extend beyond her personal records. This January, Webley not only won first in the district in both the Olympic and traditional categories but won top lifter overall.

Priscilla stands tall after winning 1st in the District. (Russell Black)

She is not only a dedicated athlete but also a dedicated teammate, and she is one of three captains who lead the team of 30 girls.

“Priscilla is truly a joyful and uplifting person both in and out of the gym. She brings so much energy to our team.” Teammate Emily Abde says.

When fellow captain and teammate Ashley Black was asked about Priscilla’s attitude in the gym, she could only praise her dedication and positivity.

“She is a very good listener, not only to me but to our whole team. She leads our team both physically and emotionally and the amount of work she puts into this sport is truly inspiring.”

As her junior year comes to an end, Priscilla is excited to see what her final year of high school weightlifting has in store with college decisions coming just around the corner.

2