STEAM Fling on Friday promises to be a blast

The new event will feature shows, bounce houses, music, and more.

Laila

The STEAM Fling promises to be a huge event on the Saint Stephen’s campus!

Laila Yavalar, Staff Writer

Things are getting STEAMY!

On Friday, March 10th, from 3:00-6:00 pm Saint Stephen’s is hosting the STEAM Fling at the Intermediate School Playground, Hoagland Arena, and Marine Science Center. This event, which encourages all ages to attend, will feature fun games, face painting, a bake-off, and even a special appearance by Coco Joe’s.  The Sophomore class will also be selling cotton candy.  

The event begins at 3:00 pm in the gym, where there will be a Welcome Kick-Off, the Bake-Off Awards Ceremony, and the Spheres Bubble Show. At 3:45 pm, there will be a Little Kids Cake Walk, followed by the Big Kids Cake Walk at 4:30 pm. 

Throughout the entire event, there will be various activities for kids, such as an obstacle course, fun house maze, and much more inflatable fun. There will also be a variety of performances at this event, such as shows by the Circus Arts Conservatory, SSES crescendos, and the Treble Makers. There will also be hands-on learning activities including the Mote Marine Touch and Feel Stations, Fab Lab Science Experiences, SSES Math Blast, and more SSES Science Fun.

For the Bake-off, which takes place on the Thursday before the event, Saint Stephen’s students can enter home-made treats into the competition. There are three categories: brownies, cupcakes, and cookies. Students may enter only one baked treat per category, but may enter more than one category. Students must provide six baked treats per entry. Baked goods will be judged, and the best treat in each category will receive an award at the Bake-Off Awards Ceremony.  

Jennifer Alokeh, one of the leaders helping host this event described the day as follows: 

“Saint Stephen’s STEAM Fling: Life is a Journey, has been an event in the making with almost a year of planning involved. For 2023, vendors, supporters, and SSES faculty and students’ time, talent and treasures will be showcased during the event!  Having the opportunity to elevate the former Spring Fling into a STEAM experience for our children promises to spark imagination and creativity through the arts, for this I am super excited!”

Alokeh explained how the STEAM fling is a theme of engineering and exploration with a touch of “circus fun.” Some learning events will be presented by our own SSES staff including math teacher, Mr. Cotton and science teacher, Dr. Ward. 

Alokeh commented that the entertainment will be “unique” and “comedic.”  She said, “We are bringing a unique ‘Spheres Bubble Show’ this year, as seen on America’s Got Talent!” 

Since the Saint Stephens 2023 school year theme is “Life is a Journey,” an ‘around the world experience’ activity has been planned for attendees, where students can pass through “passport stamping stations” with opportunities of prizes and excitement. 

Lastly, this event also promises to pay homage to Dr.Pullen’s retirement after 35 years of service and leadership to the school.  

So what are you waiting for?  We’ll see you there!

1