SSES Community Service at home and abroad

Trevor Donnelly, Contributing Writer

Should we be spending more time helping others than doing things for ourselves? This never ending cycle of self-interest is one that Saint Stephen’s students learn to resist as the years of high school roll on. Each student is required to serve 100 hours of community service from freshman to senior year. Students participate in a wide range of outreach programs that serve in the community, and this serves to remind students of the importance of helping others. With this being said, students have learned to love the variety of events and organizations, helping them suffice or even surpass these requirements.

Daniel Eisenman and Kevin Zandomenego, Seniors at SSES, have both been a part of an Interim Quest organization called Outreach 360. Interim Quest is an end of the year week long opportunity to do special things that the students choose themselves. These students traveled to the Dominican Republic with around 20 other students to teach English to less fortunate children in the remote city of Monte Cristi. Students who go on this trip come back with a newfound sense of appreciation.

After his first trip to the Dominican Republic, Kevin was delighted to be back, but felt nostalgic. Though he had not had an air-conditioned sleep in over a week, he said he had enjoyed every moment of his experience and learned to appreciate the life he had back home. Kevin said, “Actually placing myself in the situation of someone who lives in a thirdworld country is life changing. It makes you appreciate the little things. There are some kids who don’t even have the luxury of brushing their teeth everyday.”

The amount of dedication Saint Stephen’s students put into their service work is truly unparalleled. With the volunteer work that Zandomenego did in Monte Cristi, he felt a sense of accomplishment and an urge to return once more.

Daniel Eisenman was convinced by Kevin to come with him the following year. Daniel went to the DR. Upon return, he appreciated his time there, as well as his appreciation for the circumstances he was blessed to have. This fact is one that most SSES students have in common. Simply put, the world will always need service members like us Falcons to help those who are less fortunate. We pride ourselves on being outstanding members of the community based on our work with local organizations as well as world-wide communities.

DR trip in summer of 2015
DR trip in Spring of 2015

On a smaller scale, students around Bradenton have countless opportunities to volunteer for jobs, from feeding the homeless to helping at a local hospital. For example, Feeding America Club here at SSES has been a consistent facilitator of student volunteers at the local food bank, Our Daily Bread. At the food bank, students distribute meals to those in need for breakfast and lunch. Senior Savannah Sandstrum is the president of this club, and she helps organize these events on a weekly basis.

Over the summer in Sarasota, Senior Miranda Carrassi volunteered at an organization called Girls Inc. She volunteered there twice a week throughout the summer, helping in the kitchen, and doing arts and crafts with the girls.

Carrassi said, “It’s a really fun experience where you can make good relationships with the girls that participate, knowing you’re making an impact on their life.”

She was inspired by class of 2016 alumni, Shreya Patel. While they were both working there over the summer of 2015, they shared many memories with the girls. Miranda went on to explain her service, saying, “It allowed me to see how the contrast between social classes can be overcome by the tolerance of others in a group of people.” These valuable opportunities to volunteer have proved to be very enjoyable experiences for Saint Stephen’s students.