Boys lacrosse starts the season with win over Manatee

Samson Yang, Columnist

On President’s Day, boys varsity lacrosse started their season strong with a double OT (overtime) win against Manatee High School.

When the year began, it seemed as if the squad might be in for a tough year due to some coaching issues, but now with the successful season opener the team looks better than ever.

On the night of the game, MHS had their side of the bleachers packed with loud fans cheering for their team. Photographers and game filmmakers were everywhere, and it felt like a whole new atmosphere for Saint Stephen’s Lacrosse, who had never really had such an active attendance.

The Falcons were energized by the crowd as the Manatee High School fans were stomping their feet and screaming.

Goal after goal, the tension built up as the teams were neck and neck almost the entire game. Eventually, the fourth quarter ended and the game went into overtime.

In the first OT period, the Falcons and Canes struggled to end the game.

Eventually in the second, freshman Connor Rice put in the game-winning goal, assisted by freshman Cade Ryskamp.

After the goal, the Falcons jumped on each other and celebrated in joy.  Rice is a huge addition to the team.

We went into the locker rooms and celebrated the first win of the season by listening to Congratulations by Post Malone.

— Tyler Wade

As a senior, I can easily say that the Falcons have never played so well in the six years that I’ve played here. With the new coach, Coach Rice, I feel confident in the future of the lacrosse program.

After the season opener win, the boys lacrosse program has a bright season ahead, possibly bringing some good competition to its district competitors (ODA, Riverview, and Mooney), who historically have had stronger programs.

Billy D Photography
Samson Yang shooting
KRISTEN SLOAN
Samson Yang wins the opening face-off