Soccer team celebrates senior night with a win

The Varsity girls’ soccer team dominated in their game against the Imagine School on Tuesday night. Parents, teachers and students came out to cheer on the team in their last home game of the regular season, and the seniors’ younger teammates decorated the high school with posters in support of the girls being honored in the senior game.
Junior Kristi Jones, who assisted a goal for the Falcons, said she was proud of the team’s performance.
“The most important thing when playing a less experienced team is to not fall to their level. I am proud of all the players for stepping up and making it such a memorable game,” she said.
Senior Gabrielle Woodruff kicked off the game with a goal for the Falcons less than 10 minutes into the first half. Seniors Lexy Sedillo and Hannah Howell quickly followed up with goals of their own. About halfway into the first half, the game was stopped temporarily as Woodruff went down with a leg injury and was carried off the field.
The Falcons continued to bring it, with Sedillo and Howell both scoring again, as well as freshman Lindsey Leskinen. With 6:35 left in the first half, senior Emily Gessner scored the Falcons eighth goal of the game. As Imagine had yet to score, this would normally put the mercy rule into effect, but regulation required the game to continue until halftime.
The Falcons scored three more times before halftime, including a goal by junior Becca Banks. The game ended at halftime; the final score was 11-0, Falcons.
The seniors- Woodruff, Sedillo, Howell, Gessner and Christina Jones, who was unable to play- were honored after the game and presented along with their parents.
Gessner said it was fun to play the last regular season home game against a less-than-challenging team, because it gave everyone the chance to score.
“Everyone was in good spirits. It meant a lot, especially for the seniors, because we were all able to score. To be able to finish strong with all those girls was awesome,” she said.
Sedillo said she appreciated the effort her teammates put into making the day special for the senior girls.
“The entire senior day was absolutely amazing; it felt surreal. The girls spent hours making sure the entire school would recognize and appreciate us senior girls. It was an unforgettable memory,” she said.