A new era of baseball

The new baseball pitching clock has revitalized the appeal of baseball to younger fans, and brought back old fans.
This+spring%2C+come+out+to+a+baseball+game+to+experience+the+new%2C+faster+paced+game.+
Sarabeth Wester
This spring, come out to a baseball game to experience the new, faster paced game.

Remember going to baseball games when you were a little kid, seeing the one colossal home run after nine long innings, and having a fantastic time? Really, because I don’t.

Baseball games were always too long. Every play just felt so drawn out that going to the game grew boring.

Now, a new change is improving the baseball viewing experience.

The 20-second fast pace pitcher’s clock introduces a new and improved game. The clock is used whenever the pitcher is about to throw the ball. The clock makes the pitcher throw the ball at a certain time, or it results in an automatic ball for the hitter. This change has a stronger effect on hits and runs for the team batting.

This shorter, more concise version is sure to keep audiences on their toes. With these changes, baseball is evolving into America’s favorite sport once again, and into an event that, even if you thought it was boring before, should be something to get back into this spring.

Let’s take a closer look at a baseball game before the addition of the pitcher’s clock.

Picture a seven p.m. ball game at Fenway Park. Likely, it would drag on until about 11 pm, at which time you’d struggle to get home at about 1 a.m. The game is long and costly means traffic is going to take a toll on our trip back home.

With the “new game,” being better and more people getting involved, don’t be surprised if viewership stays up.

Cade Walters, a senior baseball player at Saint Stephen’s, took a strong stance on how it makes the game more entertaining:

“The pitcher’s clock makes the games like two hours and [leads to]more hits and runs, which is overall good for baseball as a sport.”

Players and management are happy about the shift in rules. In an interview with ESPN, Rays manager Kevin Cash spoke out about the change in pace of the game and how the pitchers being under pressure results in more action during the games.

“The pitch clock. The pace of the game. It’s helped baseball. I’ve enjoyed it. I hope the fans have enjoyed it. It’s obviously a faster pace and seemed to have created a little bit more action in the game, which is a good thing.”

In September, an ESPN poll showed that 56 percent of people watched the game for a longer amount of time than before the clock was added. The consensus that baseball is more enjoyable to watch with the new pitch clock is clear.

When it comes down to it, many people have fallen out of favor with baseball due to the time issue. Mark Canha, a New York Mets outfielder, said,

“The games are over in two and a half hours more often than three and a half hours. I do remember last year my garage near my apartment where I was parking my car closed at 12.”

With games going faster and tickets getting cheaper,” Baseball is returning into a pastime that all of America will love and go back to watching consistently. So this spring, be sure to head out to watch the new edition of America’s pastime.

View Comments (1)
About the Contributors
Derek Aroyan
Derek Aroyan, Staff Writer
Derek Aroyan is a Junior and a first year member of the Gauntlet. His favorite hobby is playing Hockey and he is a staff writer on the Gauntlet. His favorite movie is 22 Jump Street. He has 1 cat who he loves to spend time with. Aroyan's favorite color is satin grey and he likes the color more on cars than anything else.

Sarabeth Wester
Sarabeth Wester, Creative Director/Artist
Sarabeth Wester is a senior on The Gauntlet with four years under her belt of hard work in the newsroom as our Creative Director. Her favorite color is purple, she has a cat and a dog who she loves dearly, and she plays video games in her free time - her favorite being Fallout 4 even with it's imperfections. Her favorite movies are Days of Thunder, Top Gun, and Wall-E - she believes everyone should watch them at least once.  

• Joseph FidanzaJan 15, 2024 at 8:34 pm

Just don’t like any of the changes. If I go to only 1 game a year I want it to last.
    The beauty of the game was that it was the only sport without a clock.

Reply