The Gauntlet

Super Bowl 53 preview

After the first conference final Sunday in which both conference championships went into overtime, only the New England Patriots and the Los Angeles Rams are left standing to determine the king of the NFL.

Cade Westberry, Sports Beat Writer

Do you know everything you need to know about the upcoming Super Bowl?  Are you armed and ready to talk football on February 3rd?  Here’s a preview for all of you sports fans out there.   

For the New England Patriots, this is familiar territory. This is their third consecutive year making the Super Bowl, their fourth in the last five years, and their ninth since 2002.

Brady and Belichick have posted a 5-3 Super Bowl record with their only losses coming to the Giants twice, and last year to the Philadelphia Eagles. Tom Brady, now 41 years old, will break his own NFL record as the oldest quarterback to start an NFL Super Bowl.

After posting an 11-5 record in the regular season and securing a first-round bye in the playoffs, they proceeded to defeat the Chargers in the divisional round by a score of 41-28. Then they defeated the high-scoring Chiefs, led by MVP front-runner Patrick Mahomes in the AFC Championship 37-31.

The NFC will be represented in the big game by the Los Angeles Rams, led by 24-year-old quarterback Jared Goff, 24-year-old running back Todd Gurley, and 32-year-old head coach Sean McVay.

This game will be a rematch of Super Bowl XXXVI in which the Patriots defeated the then St. Louis Rams 20-17 and Tom Brady received the first of his five NFL championships.

This year the Rams achieved a 13-3 record in the regular season and the second seed. After a first-round bye, the Rams then defeated the Cowboys 30-22 and the Saints 26-23.

The controversy surrounding the NFC championship game that took place last Sunday is that on 3rd down, towards the end of the game, Drew Brees of the Saints threw to Tommylee Lewis, who was blatantly taken out by Rams defender Nickell Robey-Coleman before the ball was touched, which should’ve resulted in a pass interference call, but no such call was made by the referees.

Many believe this no-call robbed the Saints of a trip to Super Bowl LIII.

Some interesting facts surrounding the big upcoming game are that there has never been a bigger age difference between starting quarterbacks or head coaches in a Super Bowl.

The 17-year age difference between Goff and Brady is the largest ever, and the 33-year age difference between McVay and Belichick is by far the largest in NFL history.

The last time the Rams and Patriots faced off in the Super Bowl, Coach McVay was the starting quarterback for his local high school. This game is shaping up to be one for the ages.

Experience vs. Hunger. Old vs. Young. Patriots vs. Rams. Tune into Super Bowl LIII on February 3rd.