Athlete of the Week: DJ Clark

Sophomore DJ Clark named Athlete of the Week for historic performance against school rival, Bradenton Christian

Quarterback, Xavier Williams, hands the ball off to running back, DJ Clark

Cade Westberry, Sports Beat Writer

The Falcons’ dominant win two weeks ago against BCS was a confidence booster as the team headed into Friday’s last regular season game and Homecoming game against Indian Rocks Christian.  The Falcons took the victory in that game as well.

This week, sophomore running back, DJ Clark, has been awarded Athlete of the Week after a record-breaking game against BCS on October 12th. The starting running back recorded 447 yards and five touchdowns against perennial school rival, Bradenton Christian.

BCS head coach Dan Fort said his defense was shaped to try and stop Clark this game, however, on his first two carries, Clark ran for two touchdowns, one being 72 yards and the other 65.

Not only did the sophomore back break the Saint Stephen’s rushing record, DJ was 56 yards short of the all-time Florida high school single-game rushing record set by Derrick Henry, who ran for 502 yards in his senior year at Yulee High School in Yulee, Florida.

For those of you who don’t know, Derrick Henry won the Heisman Trophy at Alabama and currently starts for the Tennessee Titans.

Clark went on to lead the Falcons to a 55-25 win against the Panthers.

This high-level performance propelled the Falcons to a fifth straight win and a 6-1 record heading into the last game of the regular season.

Both coaches praised Clark for his performance, but DJ spread the wealth. 

I’m lucky to run behind the best offensive line in the area every single night

— DJ Clark