Sport Spotlight: Varsity boys basketball soars

Saint Stephen’s varsity boys basketball has been accomplishing great things thus far.

dfawdf

dfawdf

Jacob Whorf, Staff Writer

Nearing the end of winter season, Saint Stephen’s sports teams have accomplished great things so far. One team in particular, the boys varsity basketball team, has been making serious forward progress.

On Friday, February 2nd, the boys varsity basketball team faced rival team Bradenton Christian School.

As expected, the game was an intense battle, but for the first time in 35 years, our Falcons took down BCS in a 78 to 68 win.

We face BCS again February 16th in the district final. Both teams are sure to come out playing their best games, making February 16th a big day for the rivals.

Our basketballteam has been getting a lot better, and it hasn’t gone unnoticed. With the growing popularity, more and more people are coming out to the games.

Sophomore Ty Barker told the Gauntlet, “Now that we’re winning, loads of people have been coming out to support the team, making our games hype.” Ty admitted he couldn’t be happier with the fans and expects them to be out at BCS for their district final on February 16th.

Consisting of largely sophomores and juniors, the Saint Stephen’s team is young, and has plenty of potential to improve in the coming years.

Sophomore Camden Vining admitted that “I’ve never had more fun playing basketball, and I’m enjoying this season more than any other year I’ve played.” Camden gave credit to the team’s success and the intensity of the fans, helping transform the team into what it is today.

Our boys now have a district game record of 9 wins with 1 loss, a record we haven’t seen in quite some time.

When talking with Mr. Ruemenapp, the head coach of our boys varsity basketball team, he complimented his boys by expressing his happiness with their accomplishments.

Ruemenapp told The Gauntlet, “The boys’ hard work and determination shown this year has given a new life to the team.” Mr. Ruemenapp also wants to thank the fans and their support. “The fans make a big difference, it’s like having another player out on the court working for us.”

Will you be supporting your Flacons this Friday?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Mr. Ruemenapp also took this opportunity to shout out the big game on Friday, as he hopes to see everyone out at BCS to push his team to an even higher level.  

Overall, our basketball team has been representing the school extremely well, making us all very proud. The team has pushed past and leaped over tough obstacles to face, fully deserving of all the recognition they’ve been getting.

If you haven’t been coming out to watch our Falcons on the court, I highly recommend giving it a try.

Friday, February 16th at the BCS gymnasium is a huge district final game, so go show your Falcon pride by supporting the team!