Your Fantasy Football guide to the 2017-’18 season

Here are the biggest booms, busts, and breakouts for the upcoming fantasy season.

Max Manning, Co-Editor in Chief

To many sport-loving Americans, Sunday’s are known for one thing: Football. This sport has become a pivotal aspect in American culture. However, millions of people crave to get more connected to the game. The best way to do that, (aside from becoming an incredible athlete and playing in it) would be to play fantasy football. Roughly 41 million people have gotten connected by playing fantasy football. This keeps fans intrigued by giving them a game of their own to play.

Fantasy Football is where fans draft players from the NFL and build a fantasy team of their own. Participants create a team that they think could win their league. In these leagues, people compete in weekly games against their friends, colleagues, and sometimes even complete strangers. A common occurrence among fantasy football user would be betting on games. This takes many forms. Some people bet money, others bet “punishments.”

Junior, Ben Tobio said that in his league, “the two last-place finishers had to compete in an NFL combine to figure out who lost.”

The success of my first fantasy football predictions article (during 15/16 season) leads me to believe that creating a predictions article for this year would be a good idea. Therefore, this article will highlight the biggest booms, busts, and breakout stars of this upcoming year. Without further adieu, I give you my guide to the 2017- NFL Fantasy Football season:

Booms:

• Le’veon Bell: There was a lot of controversy surrounding Bell this offseason. His contract talks were delayed, causing him to miss the early part of training camp with his team, the Pittsburgh Steelers. After holding out for a better deal, he signed a franchise tender, worth 12.1 million dollars, for this upcoming season. Bell will be hungry to prove his worth and will have yet another big year in fantasy.
  • Tom Brady: What more needs to be said about the immortal Tom Brady? After winning his fifth Super Bowl ring last season with the New England Patriots, all the team did this offseason was get better. With additions this summer in Brandin Cooks (WR) and Dwayne Allen (TE), expect Brady to defy father time once again and have another outstanding season.
  • Antonio Brown: In his seven seasons in the NFL, Antonio Brown has been increasingly excellent. I would expect his eighth season with the Pittsburgh Steelers to be no different. After recording double digit touchdown receptions in each of the last three seasons, he has proven himself to one of the most dynamic receivers in the game. Despite being considered by many to be the second best wide out in the game, behind Julio Jones, expect him to make the leap into the number one spot this season.
  • LeSean McCoy: Last season, LeSean “Shady” McCoy rushed for 1,267 yards and 13 touchdowns. These outstanding numbers fit perfectly with the rest of his outstanding career. Experts say that McCoy will be an awkward fit in new offensive coordinator Rick Dennison’s system. However, I expect Shady to defy expectations and have another great season for the Buffalo Bills.
  • David Johnson: Twenty-five year old David Johnson is coming off of an incredible sophomore season with the Arizona Cardinals, one in which he rushed for 16 touchdowns and 1,239 yards. Despite being in only his third season in the league, Johnson is already proving himself to be a dynamic player in the league. If Johnson can overcome the historic “Sophomore Slump” that haunts so many players, then he could have an even better third season.

Busts:

• Ezekiel Elliott: The man they call Zeke had a dominant first season in the NFL. He scored 15 touchdowns last season for the Dallas Cowboys. However, he got into some trouble this offseason and now is suspended for six games. This suspension will significantly amper his ability to produce a productive season.
  • Matt Ryan: Lastseason Matt Ryan carried the Atlanta Falcons to the Super Bowl on the back of his MVP season. For the Falcons to repeat what they did last year would be very difficult. With a new offensive coordinator, Ryan my struggle even more than expected.
  • Allen Robinson: In his first three years with the Jacksonville Jaguars, Allen Robinson has proved to have some talent. During the 2015-16 season, he an impressive recorded 14 touchdowns. However, that number fell to 6 last season. With Blake Bortles showing that he doesn’t have the quality of a star player, this will only force Robinson to have an even worse season.
  • Jordan Howard: After a promising rookie season with the Chicago Bears, Jordan howard looks as if he could be a promising player for years to come. Despite Howard’s natural talent, a weak offensive line and the threat of being over-worked indicate that Jordan Howard’s 17-18 season could be bleak.
  • Frank Gore: Similar to Tom Brady, Frank Gore is another player who seems to defy Father Time every season. Despite never being caught before, it looks like this could be the year it happens. When drafting your team, consider Gore a tentative back-up option, but not a player that you can rely on weekly.

Breakouts:

• Ezekiel Elliott: I understand how this may seem foolish putting Zeke on this list twice, but hear me out. Last year proved that Elliott will be a force in the league for years to come. However, the 6 game suspension will inevitably slow him down. After he does his time, Zeke will be looking to come back stronger than ever. Consider him a solid pick-up when he returns to the field.
  • Keenan Allen: During his first season in the league (‘13-’14), Allen showed that he had some real potential. Since then, he has struggled with injury, that has caused his production to significantly decrease. Allen only played in one game last season, due to injury. This year, he will be motivated to return to the status of his rookie campaign and will put up big numbers this season. 
  • Marcus Mariota: In his first two seasons in the NFL, Mariota has shown that he has had the potential to be great but still wasn’t experienced enough to become an elite player. After throwing for 26 touchdowns last season, Mariota is poised for big things this year. Expect him to make the leap from a good quarterback, to a great one.
  • Kareem Hunt: This will be Kareem Hunt’s first season in the league and he has a lot of potential. After showing promise in his college career with the Toledo Rockets, Hunt was taken in the third round by the Chiefs. Hunt is one of the most underrated upcoming rookies, and is poised for big things.
  • Tyreek Hill: Last year, Tyreek Hill got the opportunity to showcase himself as a special talent. Primarily being used as a wide receiver, Hill can also be a very effective running back as he caught 6 touchdowns and ran for 3 last season. It would be a shame for the Chiefs to let such a special talent go to waste. Expect Hill and the Chiefs to realize what he is fully capable of this season.

BREAKING NEWS as of 9-12-17: Ezekiel Elliott is back! His initial six-game suspension has been revoked and now he can participate in the entire season. For those of you who have already picked him up, you’re in luck. If you haven’t and he’s still available in your league, you better move fast because Zek is in for a big season.