Varsity boys lacrosse starts season with a clean win against All Saints Academy

The Varsity boys’ lacrosse team started the season off right earlier this month. After a sweeping 21-6 win against All Saints Academy, these boys have high hopes for what the season may hold.

From the very beginning of the game, it was clear to see that the Falcons were going to carry the win. By the time the 1st quarter came around, the Falcons held a 6-0 lead over All Saints Academy’s heads, an early indicator of how the rest of the game would play out. Throughout the next three quarters, sophomore Joey Mays and freshman Drew Vigne scored many of the goals with 5 to 6 goals apiece, helping to carry the team to an easy victory by the end of the game.

Senior Charlie Boothby, who has played on the Varsity team since his sophomore year, said going into the game, the team did not know what to expect from their competition.

“I wasn’t sure what to expect. All Saints (Academy) has had a Varsity program longer than us, but we just wanted to go out strong and we did,” he said.

Head coach Scott Kallins said the team had only practiced for two weeks prior to the game, but they stuck to what they had practiced and ultimately the team was successful.

“[The team had] a continual presence of attention and aggression during the game. We were focused on getting a lot of ground balls, which was one of our goals. We were also focused on passing the balls and passing to the open man,” he said.

Boothby said offense was one of the team’s strongest points during the game and helped in scoring many goals.

“We executed offense really well. Coach reminded us to constantly go after groundballs. We did really well on our man-up offense and that’s where we got most of our goals from,” he said.

Sophomore Kevan Patel said there were a few experienced players who really contributed to the win.

“We had a lot of experienced players on the offense such as Luc Goeders, Joey Mays, Drew Vigne and Jude Sedillo. [They] really helped lead the team,” he said.

Patel added that the defense was just as important during the game and in particular, freshman Anthony Matteo showed strong leadership on the defense.

“[Matteo] came out as a freshman, but also as a defensive captain because he led a team of first-time defenders, including myself. He taught us everything we needed to know,” he said.

Looking towards the future, Boothby said the team wants to stay concentrated and continue working on offensive and defensive plays that help score more goals.

“Going into games we just have to think it through, go after every ground ball, run the offense our way and make sure that we play slides. Also, we need to help each other out and play as a team,” he said.

Kallins said practice makes perfect.

“With conditioning, we will run harder. With more time, these guys will be able to become more understanding of each others’ play, becoming more cohesive as a team,” he said.