Martell honored in Senior Night celebrations, Falcons defeated by Bishop McLaughiln

The Varsity girls’ basketball team suffered a tough loss on Friday to the Bishop McLaughlin Hurricanes. Because it was their senior game, the team’s only senior, Hannah Martell, was honored in a pre-game ceremony.

Prior to the game, Athletic Director and Head Coach Carlos Boothby gave a speech that highlighted Martell’s accomplishments and celebrated her dedication and leadership on the basketball team. Martell was then presented with a gift from Assistant Coach Lisa Worthy, a plaque by which to remember her time on the basketball team.

Martell said she was honored by the recognition but had mixed emotions about the night.
“It was really bittersweet. It’s exciting to be going off to college, but its hard because after playing for so many years, it’s weird to know that this is it,” she said.

The game kicked off at six o’clock. The Hurricanes made a two-point shot and put the first points of the night on the scoreboard. However, the Falcons were able to score a three-point basket in the second quarter and put up a few points of their own.

After a lot of back and forth action, the Hurricanes held a 39-10 lead at halftime. Despite a valiant effort by the Falcons, they were unable to close the point gap, and they lost their final game of the season. The final score was 55-14, Hurricanes.

Junior Chelsea Burgess, a low post for the Falcons, said regardless of the score, the team had a great time in the game.

“I think everyone played well, despite the score. We were all just having a lot of fun since it was senior night, and that’s what it’s really about for us,” she said.

Boothby said it has been a tough year as far as wins and losses, but he felt the team made a lot of progress.

“I am very proud of all of the girls and what they have accomplished this season.The team comes in and fights hard every night and never give up until the final buzzer sounds. …They come to practice every day with a great attitude and ready to work and learn. That part of it has been especially rewarding,” he said.