Falcons shut out opponent, earn first victory of the regular season

The Falcons’ Varsity football team dominated in Friday night’s game against the Gateway Charter Griffins, breaking their three-game losing streak with their first win of the regular season.

The Falcons won the coin toss at the start of the game and elected to defer. After stopping the Griffins’ on the first drive, the Falcons took possession of the ball and scored their first touchdown of the night at 4:03 in the first quarter. The Falcons held the lead at 7-0 going into halftime.

Junior Bradley Beazant recovered a fumble by the Griffins early in the second half, leading to a touchdown by senior Herman Israelsson at 8:43 in the third quarter. The Falcons battled through the pouring rain and were able to score again later in the half to ice the game. The extra point was blocked by the Griffins.

The final score was 20-0, Falcons.

Israelsson, who had 24 carries for 100 yards and two touchdowns, and senior Timothy Nutter, who had three receptions for 35 yards and one touchdown, played an instrumental role in earning the Falcons victory.

The Falcons’ next game is Friday, September 28, against the Shorecrest Chargers at 7:30 p.m.