Israelsson sets new record for track

He achieved the fourth fastest time in the state as a high school student as a member of  the Saint Stephen’s track and field team–not an easy feat. Junior Herman Israelsson decided to “eat, live and breathe” track for two years in order to reach this point of stardom.

Israelsson achieved one of the fastest times in the state of Florida by breaking two 400-meter records with a time of 50.92 seconds. Because of his placement of 3rd out of 80 in the preliminaries, he was nominated to be elected as Athlete of the Week on htprep.com.

Israelsson said his passion and dedication in training ultimately led him to his success on the track.

“It finally feels like the work is paying off. People might say the work will pay off someday, but they do not understand what it really means until it happens,” he said.

Track Coach and English teacher Mr. Jamie Moore said Israelsson’s dedication to the sport is contagious among his fellow teammates.

“During practice every day he brings a tremendous work ethic, which helps carry everyone else along.  He is also a good role model,” Moore said.

In order to successfully beat multiple records, Israelsson said he has been training every day from morning until night.

“I have been basically living track. I decided to take up strengthening classes because I cannot go to the gym every day after school, so I work out in the morning, which has helped me become faster during track season. I’m gaining muscle and speed at the same time,” he said.

Moore said Israelsson’s additional training helped him progress to the level of competition he is at now.

“His endurance has improved tremendously, and a lot of that has to do with his strength,” he said.

In order for him to stay motivated, Israelsson relies upon his parents and teachers.

“Knowing that my family is thousands of miles away in Sweden makes me want to make them proud. Every time I succeed they become more energized and happy.”