Varsity soccer girls’ season exceeds expectations

The girls’ varsity soccer season last Friday culminated with a 4-0 loss against Tampa Preparatory. Still, many of the players say this score neither reflects that game, nor the season.

Back in October, at the start of the season, the regional tournament did not cross the minds of many varsity soccer girls. For some, even the four-year streak of holding the district champions title seemed unpredictable.

After six seniors graduated last year–Ashley Falkner, Alyssa Allen, Cassidy Whidden, Alexa Body, Katie Klens and Gabby Grubbs–the team began the 2011-2012 season with several anxieties.

Senior Michelle Benz, Co-Captain, said with practice, the team was able to clear away doubts about the district tournament.

“At the beginning of the season, most people questioned if we would even make it to district finals. As the season went on, we used the talent that we had to our advantage and connected more as a team, which enabled us to go as far as we did,” she said.

The team ultimately finished its season as the 2011-2012 Class 1A District 8 Champions after beating Shorecrest Preparatory 3-0.

The Falcons pulled off another victory against Bishop McLaughlin (8-0) in the regional quarterfinals to advance to the regional semis at Tampa Prep.

The varsity girls’ soccer team finished their season with a record that they said surpassed several of their expectations: 13 wins, 6 losses and 2 ties. Other notable teams played throughout the season include Lakeland Christian, Manatee High, Venice High, Cardinal Mooney, Braden River High and Lakewood Ranch.

Junior Hannah Howell said that the team’s record only tells half the story.

“Our team wasn’t the biggest, strongest or fastest, but through sheer determination and willpower, we upheld the girls soccer program’s legacy and performed against our seemingly superior competitors admirably,” she said.

This year’s graduating seniors include Michelle Vogler, Michelle Benz, Shannon Morrish, Amber Falkner and Charlotte O’Driscoll.

Senior Michelle Vogler described the heart of the girls’ soccer team in just a few words: “We all worked our hardest and did our best. It was a great season, and I’ll definitely miss it next year.”