Sailing Club a hit at yesterday’s club fair

For the first time, Saint Stephen’s will feature a student-run sailing club, taking advantage of a local resource in the Sarasota Sailing Squadron.

Sailing+in+Sarasota+Bay.++

Sailing in Sarasota Bay.

Oliver Leclezio, Staff Writer

The new sailing club will feature small sailing vessels like these.

Clubs at Saint Stephen’s are special, giving students a chance to explore new ideas and take part in things they enjoy outside of school.  Yesterday’s club fair in the Upper School Commons featured plenty of new (and old) clubs that students can take part in.  

One of them, the new “Sailing Club,” sticks out.

J.J. Smith, a new junior at Saint Stephen’s, joined the Falcon family this year from Manatee High School. She is sponsoring the new sailing club.  At her booth yesterday, flocks of students eagerly signed up.

In regard to sailing, Smith said that what she enjoys most is “the feeling of her body in-tune with the boat’s motion, anticipating the wind and the waves.”

The club is perfect for anybody that wants to have a good time on the water and learn the skill.  There’s no experience needed.

With only one practice a week, on Tuesdays, and six races on Saturdays throughout the year, the club is also perfect for anybody with a busy schedule.

Practice will be held, along with other high schools, at the Sarasota Sailing Squadron.  It’s an opportunity to meet other high school kids from Manatee and Sarasota Counties and transportation to the Squadron will be provided.

Our team will rig up our boats together on sailing days and sail until about 6:00pm.

Smith, who has been sailing from Belgium to Bermuda, said she looks forward to competing with the Falcons.