Engineering: creative new electives appeal to students

Each year, teachers come up with new electives that stimulate student interest. Which will you take next year?

The+boat+project+is+designed+to+carry+two+students.++Will+it+make+the+trip%3F+

The boat project is designed to carry two students. Will it make the trip?

Jake Ross, Staff Writer

Here at Saint Stephen’s, students are given opportunities not normally presented to typical high school students.  One example of this is the application of the STEaM initiative in classes (STEaM stands for intended collaboration in classes of science, technology, engineering, arts, and math components).

In the Upper School, Engineering is now a popular elective and here is why.

Engineering teacher Mr. David Payne has designed an intriguing, project-based final project. The project parameters are simple: choose a project and build it based on the topics and skills the class covered during the first three interims. These topics, to name a few, included SketchUp design, 3D printing, wood work, Arduinos and anything to do with physics.

Students had the choice of having a partner or working alone, but in most cases, students teamed up. In the past years, these projects have ranged anywhere from 10-foot catapults to toaster ovens. That is what makes this project so interesting: students are are allowed to pick something that they truly want to do, and as a result the final products are impressive.

The project began at the beginning of March and will continue to the end of April. The young engineers are required to make project timelines and specifications in order to keep themselves on track.

Senior Bryce Gay is planning on making a five-foot tall slingshot with the capability of launching a lacrosse ball over 150 yards. Now, students required to make a full timeline, sketch the design, and do the calculations to ensure that it will meet set goals. This also allows students to get hands on learning and actually build something.

There is a wide variety of projects being covered this year. Some students are taking a different route. Seniors Andrew Ross and Max Manning have decided to construct a wooden boat for their final project. This boat, titled the SS Cron, will have the ability to carry both of the engineers while navigating a small course. Manning will be the captain of the ship, while Ross is the first-mate.

Manning said, “We understand that this is an ambitious project, but we’re ready for the challenge and [we’re] excited to get started.”

The goal of the project is to allow students to create something that they are passionate about and that interests them. Many feel that the idea of the “passion project,” popular in the education world now, should be more heavily implemented in the Upper School. Students are often not motivated to work their hardest in school because they are just not passionate about what they are doing.

In the Middle School, this year, faculty implemented something called the “Innovation Lab” where students choose a class designed through the “passions” of the teachers.  Teachers design their own classes, based on their skills and passions, and these electives range from Archaeology (by Mr. Haakman) to “Health Club” by Mrs. Rappold. The lab takes up the first two periods.  This was a bold move, and something the Upper School ought to think about

The Innovation Lab in the Middle School was inspired by Google’s “20% time” initiative, used for Google employees. Google allows their employees to use 20% of their time to work on something creative that they hope will benefit Google.

As a result of the creative, open-ended initiative, Google News, Gmail and Adsense was developed.

Within our school, an elective modeled on 20% time would allow students to spend their time doing something they are passionate about. Often, in this setting, researchers have found that students go above and beyond their normal capabilities.