Theater Review: school production of Grease is huge success

Kassandra Haakman, Co-Editor in Chief

From March 21st to March 23rd, a group of Saint Stephen’s students showed off their theatrical talents in several productions of the famed musical Grease. Many students and faculty members took advantage of their free admission to enjoy the show. 

This year’s musical not only showcased the theatrical and musical talents of student actors; the show wouldn’t have been possible without the efforts of certain people behind the scenes.

One major part of the play is the backdrop, which was painted by senior Charlie Price and a group of other students. Also, a hardworking stage crew and drama teacher Mrs. Elisha ensured that the play went smoothly.

One new, innovative element to the school play this year was the inclusion of the Upper School band, which played all of the music. The live music from the band gave the musical a more authentic feel and gave the band students a chance to shine along with the student actors.

Sophomore Camden Vining, who played Danny Zuko in the school’s production, commented on the band’s inclusion: “It was more fun because it helped me feel more connected with the music. It feels more suited to your voice because they’re playing to your voice.”

Overall, the play was a success. The student actors played their parts well, the scene changes went smoothly, and the live music was a good accompaniment to the actors’ voices.

The only noticeable setback came from the volume of the band music. Since the inclusion of the live band was a new feature, figuring out how to make the voices heard over the sound of the instruments was a posed a slight problem. But it was finally agreed that the actors would wear microphones to amplify their voices.

The school production of Grease was arried out very well by everyone involved and was very enjoyable to watch. With the same amount of work and skill, future musicals are sure to be even greater with the coming of our performing arts center.