What are the most anticipated horror films of fall 2023?

We found the upcoming top 3 horror films to watch in 2023.
Ariana “Ari” Chapman

You’ve probably seen a few horror films in your time, maybe with your family or with your friends at a sleepover. Some of these moments and movies might stand out to you more than the others, but of all the scary movies you’ve seen, which ones stand out as your favorites?

The season of Halloween is creeping towards us, and with that in mind, let’s take a look at what frightening flicks deserve to be at the top of your list this fall.

The tenth movie in the franchise. (Murphy’s Multiverse screenshot)

Saw X
Coming out on September 29 is Saw X. The story in Saw X takes place between the plots of Saw and Saw II, disrupting the chronological order of the franchise. This version will be following John Kramer, the main antagonist of the first film, as he tries to find a cancer treatment in Mexico. He discovers a horrendous fraud being perpetrated against him, and so he decides to get payback.

Dr. Gordon, the doctor who diagnosed Kramer with cancer in the first movie, will not be making an appearance unlike the rest of the cast. While the rating on this one is R, maybe there is a parent who is willing to take the journey with you. There are hundreds of fans waiting to tune in the 118-minute movie. Many hope it will have the “Old School” horror movie vibes, like the original Saw. Nonetheless, there are hundreds of fans that purely want to see an irresistible ending plot twist like other movies that are already in the franchise.

The sixth movie in the franchise. (Youtube screenshot)

The Exorcist
The Exorcist Believer Is the next one on our list. This one is a direct sequel to the original Exorcist from 1973. Believer takes place 50 years after the first film, and follows two families and their possessed daughters. Now there have been controversies in the past with the first film portraying religion scandalously, which as you can guess, devout people weren’t big fans. But since then, the creators have made multiple sequels that have received good ratings and overall, the series has a very loyal fan base.

The main character, Victor, is trying to find Chris, the only person who has any chance of saving his daughter and her friend. The plot based on the trailer is like an adventure or action movie with horror elements intertwined. When I mention horror, I’m not speaking about the supernatural world, I mean the thriller films that make your heart race with anticipation. Countless fans are excited to see what’s in store. One of those many fans, Mia Taravez, a horror enthusiast, gave her opinion after seeing the trailer.

“It actually seems interesting since I watched the original movie from the 1970’s,” Tavarez said. “It feels scarier than the first but I’m excited to see what it has to offer,” said Tavarez.

Based off the beloved Franchise of videogames. (IMDb screenshot)

Five Nights At Freddy’s

FNAF (Five Nights At Freddy’s) is an up-and-coming rendition of the beloved video game, which children everywhere have been obsessed with for the last decade. Those same children, including me and my friends, are worried that the film won’t have the same detailed plot as the game. The plot of this childhood game makes some worry for their parents to see the graphic scenes in the movie that the game had in store for us. We are excited to see what it has in store for us. If you’re looking forward to Halloween, a FNAF costume is certain to grab peoples’ attention and make sure you stand out.

Youtuber Kori Kenshin, also known as CoryXKenshin, has a cameo in the film, along with a few other famous Youtubers, which is sure to create more anticipation for the upcoming release. One of the excited, future viewers and a good friend of mine, freshman Gabbrianna Trevino, a fan of Five Nights at Freddy’s. Trevino recently watched the trailer and gave us her opinion on it.

“I think it’s gonna be a pretty good movie when it comes out. I think it’s really cool that they got Youtubers to be in it,” Trevino said.

I recommend Saw X or The Exorcist to young adults who love good old-fashioned action horror. If you love videogames and horror then the Five Nights at Freddy’s movie is perfect. Based on the games the movie should have a good plot, jumpscares, and thrillers. Hopefully one of these fantastic films drew you in. Who knows, you may be adding to your favorite Horror Film List by the end of the year.

1