Writing Center opens in upper school library

In order to meet the needs of a growing student population, the Writing Center is now open all during all periods except third, Mondays and Fridays.

Nicholas Mattheys, Staff Writer

The upper school Writing Center is now open Monday’s and Friday’s for all periods (except third).

Due to the diversity and varying writing levels of the student body, the English department has decided to launch a new “Writing Center” in the upper school library. The writing center is dedicated to helping students hone their writing skills as well as boost the skills of non-native speakers.

The center is headed by learning specialist Mrs. Alison Johnson and upper school English teacher Mrs. Broaddus. They believe that the writing center will be a great tool for those writers in need, and that it should be viewed as a positive thing for students to attend, not a negative, as some may think it is.

Although the Writing Center is headed by Mrs. Johnson and Mrs. Broaddus, the writing “coaches” are the heart of the program.  Coaches are usually seniors who are skilled, accomplished writers. These students are available during every period of the day, except third, on Mondays and Fridays, for whoever may need their help.

Typical sessions are around 20 minutes and they’re informal, aimed at prepping, editing, and reviewing papers at any stage and in any field.

The writing center is recommended for anyone who has trouble with writing essays or anyone who would like an extra pair of eyes on their paper. This could be a good way for everyone to make sure their respective essays are top quality.