End of the interim on homecoming week causing a stir

Due to the Hurricane, the US test calendar is packed. Read on…

Ryan Thompson, News Beat Writer

The US test calendar is loaded. Be sure to keep an eye on yours! It can be found in SSESonline, “Groups” tab.

At Saint Stephen’s, our school year is split into four quarters we call “interims.” The end of each interim is a time in which students are bombarded with assignments and assessments. This week before the interim ends is already a stressful enough time for students as they are fighting to raise their grades before it’s too late. This year, Homecoming week, a week filled with fun spirit events and costume-wearing, leads to new ways for students to get distracted from their responsibilities in the classroom.

This new cause for stress that has been added to the mix concerns some of our students during a period of high stress levels in the school year. Some would call this bad timing, as Saint Stephen’s Senior Emma Wilbur said, “They don’t give us enough time as it is to do the amount of school work assigned the last week of the interim. Putting homecoming week as that same week creates a lot of stress, which keeps us from fully enjoying the fun that homecoming week is designed for.” The majority of Saint Stephen’s students, like Emma, are not in favor of these two weeks being combined into one.

While the date of homecoming is not the same every year, the week the first interim ends is typically the same. That said, homecoming could have been moved from the week it is. By keeping this in mind while planning the festivities for homecoming week next year, Saint Stephen’s students will be able to fully enjoy a fun homecoming week while still staying completely focused in the classroom.

Should the end of the interim ever be the same week as homecoming?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...