Community shares views on Romney and Obama before second debate

After the first presidential debate earlier this month, the Saint Stephen’s community discussed their thoughts about President Barack Obama and Republican nominee Mitt Romney, as both head to their second debate on Tuesday, October 16.

Senior Alden Zeff said he thought Romney was better prepared overall.

“He definitely had more detailed answers about any topic that came up. He was more on the offense and [put] Obama in awkward spots,” he said.

Junior Sabrina Viota had a different view on the winner of the debate. She thought Obama won but said that Romney is more favorable in the race.

“In general, Romney is getting a lot of support just for the fact that everyone is disappointed that Obama hasn’t done all that he has promised,” Viota said.

Zeff said Romney has done a better job than Obama at reaching out to various classes.

“Obama’s campaigning and advertising overall has been superior, but Romney has done a better job of communicating about helping everyone,” he said.

Zeff said Romney has been more persuasive so far because he has attacked Obama more.

He said, “Romney can really point out what hasn’t worked with Obama and provide new solutions, and people definitely grab on to that.”

Junior Megan Carr, whose brother will be voting for the first time this November, said Romney did a better job of persuading youth.

“Romney presented himself as very confident…the way an extraverted leader should be, and my brother extremely enjoyed seeing that,” she said.

Carr said the first debate was popular among many viewers.

“The first debate usually gets the most press coverage because it’s the first time that the viewers see Obama and Romney directly go at it,” she said.

Upper School English teacher Mr. James Flanigan focused on the body language of the candidates during the debate.

“President Obama didn’t seem like he wanted to talk to Romney. He wanted to talk to the camera. He was standing awkwardly with his toe and leaning on the podium. And Romney was talking directly to him, almost at him,” he said.

Upper School Spanish teacher Mr. J.B. Wolcott said the first debate was important because some people are already making a decision about who they will vote for.

“There is lots of early voting going on. Some of the people are going to vote before the debates are even over,” he said.

For the next debate, Wolcott said Romney needs to give specifics.

“At this point… my concern with him is [that] I have no idea what he stands for,” he said.

Wolcott said that Obama should stick to the “no drama Obama” policy and simply show up.

Flanigan said Obama needs to be more jazzed for the next debate and do something differently.

“[Obama] didn’t approach it in a way we see him approach other things,” he said.

Flanigan also suggested that Romney should keep doing what he has been doing.

“So, if he can continue to approach it with that level of enthusiasm, he’ll be great,” he said.

Viota said Obama needs to cool down and wait for Romney to make a mistake, but she also suggested to Obama to be more prepared.

“Obama should get his game face on,” she said.

View Comments (1)

• Jacob WestberryOct 17, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Obama needs to start convincing people that his recent 4 year term was a success, which he simply can’t do.

Reply