Stories of a forever falcon: a look back through the years

Flashback: Falcon Friend events provide a meaningful juxtaposition of past and present.

Josh Willard, News Editor

Pick up the remote and rewind back to the Fall of 2002. The trees are still. There’s barely a breeze. It’s hot, suffocatingly hot. There’s sweat building between you and your mother’s hand. You’re toddling along the tree-shaded sidewalk, your mother close by your side, more emotional than you are. A woman opens the door to a square building and you see other kids. You let go. You run. You plop down next to a kid and take a block. You smile and giggle. Your mother snaps a picture, smiles, and wipes a tear from her face. “Welcome to Pre-K, kids. Put your backpacks in your cubbies!”

Now fast-forward to today. Hit play. You lift the curtain of your cubby and grab a notebook. The bell rings and you run to class. For the dozens of Forever Falcons, this passage of time is more than some rewindable TV show; it’s life. The start of this season was the start of a reality many of my classmates and I know and love. Now, we near a bittersweet finale. Life has many more successful, wonderful, and crazy seasons in store, but this season– our time at Saint Stephen’s– is fading away.

Season 1, Episode 1: Lower School
Ask any longtime Falcon their favorite years of Saint Stephen’s and they will gladly reminisce on the good ol’ days. Lower School, during my time Pre-K through 3rd grade, is a defining part of every Falcon’s childhood. Every year of Lower School brims with fun events. Whether it be the Halloween Hootenanny or field trips to MOSI, Lower School teachers managed to entertain, educate, and corral all of us. They have inspired fun and shaped us into who we are today.

Who could forget IQ? IQ in the Lower School is unlike anything Saint Stephen’s has to offer. I remember vividly my time spent in Mrs. Ewert’s space station-themed tunnels, building the Transcontinental Railroad in Mrs. Ivin’s class, and looking up at the heavily decorated ceiling of Mrs. Roberts’ musically-themed room.

While these grand things make the Lower School fun and special on certain days of the year, there are many everyday things that I miss just as much. Recess is an obvious one. For Forever Falcons, the nostalgia of the old wooden playground may ring a few bells. Nap time was also special. Whether you slept or just were shushed for talking, that down time becomes more and more valuable as you grow. Finally, there are the teachers. While every Saint Stephen’s teacher exercises care for for their students, the Lower School teachers are especially nurturing. Getting a hug from Mrs. Boothby or Mrs. Jadeja was a special moment. They are minor moments in the grand scheme of things, yet, at the time, each fine touch has helped to better our lives.

Season 1, Episode 2: Intermediate School
Fourth, fifth, and sixth grades were a particularly memorable time in my Falcon career. Watching Mr. Anderson encourage everyone in the room with “Eye of the Tiger” to master “Fifty Facts” will live on in your mind forever if you were here in fourth grade. I had the pleasure of having the one of the most supportive and caring teachers I have ever experienced as a fourth grade advisor. Mrs. Mercier did much more than teach English and science, she taught us all to laugh, be comfortable, and relax.

What can I say about fifth grade? There is always the obvious fact that Mr. Stuart, Ms. Mandel, and Ms. York were an unstoppable trio. Mr. Stuart exposed us to a variety of literature, while his quiet demeanor and passion for puppetry entertained and comforted us all. Ms. Mandel taught us all how to write effectively and, together with Ms. York, moderated many a STARS session. I will remember my time in Ms. York’s classroom for Inquiry. This special class allowed us freedom to learn things that generally taught in the major subjects. We learned current events, watched President Obama’s inauguration live on TV, and did the Birthday Box project.

Sixth grade introduced us to new learning experiences, from Mr. Goldman’s teaching us Spanish conjugations to Mrs. Nixon dissecting a cow’s eye. Each of these experiences were uniquely Saint Stephen’s.

Season 1, Episode 3: Middle School
The Class of 2016 was the first class to never experience the old Middle School. Instead, we waltzed right into to the brand new, green building in style. What makes the Middle School great, even with the struggles of misfortunate fashion decisions and lingering puberty, is the teachers. The Middle School, while only two grades, contains what many believe as the highest concentration of truly extraordinary teachers in the school. Mr. Moran is known school-wide as an exciting and great teacher. Mr. Jones, Mrs. Ackerman, and Mrs. Revard are regarded highly for their unique personalities and passion for their subjects. Cedarkirk and Boston were two destinations that, while the teachers had to work endlessly to organize them, still hold some of our greatest memories.

Season 1, Episode 4: Upper School
If I had to differentiate Upper School from any other division, I would narrow it down to one word: choice. The choices Upper School students, especially upperclassmen, are given are much appreciated. It allows you to take control of your own learning. While you will always have to fill out your required classes, there is a sizable and growing pool of electives to choose from. They expose you to your key areas of interest and help you to focus your studies on what you are passionate about. Beyond that, spirit rings through the halls of the Upper School. If you have ever gone through a day in the fall feeling bored, then what school do you go to? Homecoming Week is a magical display of spirit. Whether you have worked hard to bake a cake, paint a banner, dance and lip sync to a song in front of the whole school, or turn a wooden slab with wheels into a show-winning class float, Homecoming Week enables everyone to participate in driving their class to victory. I have loved each of these four weeks.

To list the Upper School teachers that have a large, positive impact on their students’ futures would be impossible to narrow down, it would include virtually all of our teachers. Their passion shines through in their work. Every class has been an adventure, every lesson is like a photograph, and every word has made us laugh, cry, or, most of all, think.

Even though this may be a season finale, we can be assured that our next season in life will be just as great. All of the love, support, and lessons we have received have groomed each and every one of us to be successful in college and beyond. From the bottom of my heart, as a senior and Forever Falcon, thank you to all of the teachers that have taken the time to go above the bar of basic lessons and enabled us to develop as not just learners, but individuals. The next time you see your teacher, whether they taught you yesterday or ten years ago, thank them because they are not a #change, but a #blessing.