Seniors vote for the first time

Saint Stephen’s seniors voted in their first presidential election this month and said they felt rewarded by the opportunity to take part in deciding this country’s future. Some went to the voting stations on Nov. 6, while others participated in the early voting.

Senior Brice Tilton was one of the seniors who went to vote on Nov. 6. Once he registered, he received a slip of paper and then got his ballot.

“They give you an official pen and they send you over to the white box where you proceed to vote for anything from local elections to national amendments and the U.S. presidency,” he said.

After filling out all the information, he cast in his vote.

“I stuck [the ballot] in the little safety pocket that they give you and brought [it] over to the machine, where you cast your official ballot into what looks like a giant scanner,” Tilton said.

Tilton added that the voting process was an important event because it only happens once every four years. He said he felt “a little bit nervous because it is a big deal.”

Senior Jay Manson, who voted early on Oct. 28, said he felt great about voting for the first time because he got a chance to express his opinion in an event as important as the presidential election.

“I got my voice heard, and seeing the result of the election was really great,” Manson said.

Senior Monique Chicvak said she voted five days before the Election Day and sent in her voting ballot by mail after filling it out with her mom and dad.

“We literally went through each of the questions together to have them explain all the amendments to me and what they meant,” she said.

Senior Arjun Madgavkar said he went through a similar voting process as Tilton, who had to wait in an 80-person line. Despite the long wait, he said everyone was excited to vote.

“I felt like I had a say in the country’s future, even though my candidate lost,” he said.

Senior Tori Biach also said it felt amazing to be able to vote.

“I felt like it was my first thing as an 18-year old that I could [do]. It was a great feeling to exercise a right that I have,” she said.

Biach said for her, it was all about participating in her first election.

“The best part was getting to put in your point of view,” she said.

“I think you can only have a reaction to the election and how it turned out if you take part in it.”