Harvard Model Congress team returns victorious

The Harvard Model Congress Team stops to take a group photo while celebrating senior Jane Lindsay’s birthday on the ice.

Shreya Patel, Cultures/Social Media Editor

Most students dread the day they have to return to school after a long weekend. The Harvard Model Congress (HMC) team, however, arrived to school bright-eyed and excited a few weeks ago. The students were about to embark on a trip to Boston to attend the largest government simulation conference in the world.
According to the members of the Harvard Model Congress team, HMC is definitely saved best for last. With big shoes to fill from the results of Columbia Model United Nations and Harvard Model United Nations, the team was ready for the challenge. This wasn’t your average team. Ten girls and two boys conquered the conference. Captain Ben Kalish notes, “Curtis was the equivalent of about 5 rowdy boys. So we didn’t miss out on much.” They returned victorious with 8 of the 12 students including Maryann Placheril 17’, Julia Woodson 17’, Alana Shukovsky 17’, Curtis Stump 16’, Tiffany Chinwuba 16’, Isadora Rosso 16’, Shreya Patel 16’, and Ben Kalish 15’ having received awards for outstanding debate skills.

• The HMC Team dines at Daruma for some “team-bonding” before embarking on their flight .

• HMC students, filled with excitement, take a “snapchat” at the Tampa International Airport before boarding.

• Captain Ben Kalish and junior Curtis Stump smile for the camera as they prepare for the cold that awaits them.

• With the first sight of snow, students are excited for what the trip has yet to bring.

• Juniors Shreya Patel, Curtis Stump, and Isadora Rosso take a selfie on their first walk in the snow!

• Captain Ben Kalish snaps yet another photo while shopping on Newbury Street in Downtown Boston.

• In attempt to show off his “model face,” junior Curtis Stump smizes at the camera as he thinks about the six hour committee session that awaits him.

• Sophomores Maryann Placheril, Alana Sukovsky, Julia Woodson, Juilana Rodriguez and freshman Emma Vigne stop for a snap on their way to brunch before committee sessions begin.

• As one of the two boys on the team, Curtis entertains his fellow team members with a look that shouts “tourist!”

• The Harvard Model Congress Team stops to take a group photo while celebrating senior Jane Lindsay’s birthday on the ice.