Saint Stephen’s introduces iPad initiative

Saint Stephen’s is implementing a new policy for the 2013-2014 school year: students in grades six through twelve will be required to own an iPad 2 or newer.

Director of Technology Mr. Dave Snodgress said the school administration made the decision to make iPads mandatory because they are one of the most versatile tools that exist.

“The iPad can basically do whatever you want it to,” he said. “It can be used to read, to keep up with social media, to do research, to write papers…you almost don’t even need a computer anymore. No matter what you want to do, you can find some way for the iPad to help you do it,” he said.

Head of School Mrs. Jan Pullen said the iPad would be an extremely useful addition to the classroom.

“We believe the iPad is a tool, and it’s especially helpful because it’s just so mobile. Everyone can use it in their own, individual way. There are so many uses for it that we feel like it will really enhance the classroom and learning experience,” she said.

Snodgress said he believed the iPads would enhance students’ learning experiences by allowing them to figure out how they could best utilize them.

“We also like the more collaborative, project-based approach to learning that the iPads encourage,” he said, adding that with the iPads, students with learning differences can now access a variety of resources. “It can address the student on their own playing field and makes the information more accessible at large,” he said.

Pullen said she was excited to be a part of the new trend in education.

“Over the last few years, we’ve been seeing that lecturing and talking at a class is becoming less and less effective. There is so much more that goes into learning these days, like collaborative work, independent research, student projects and presentations, etc… all of which will be made even more possible with the iPad,” she said.

According to Upper School Director Dr. Randy Watts, the decision to make iPads mandatory has been a consideration for the past few years.

“It was a really neat process. We’ve had conversations about it with the tech department for years, and every time I would ask, ‘Are we there yet?’ Until the iPad came along, the answer was always no. It’s been a gradual process, first incorporating it into the classroom through the faculty and discovering its applicability,” he said.

Pullen added that an anonymous donation made the dream a possible reality.

“We received an anonymous gift that allowed us to provide all our teachers with iPads. It was important to us that our teachers had time to get comfortable with the iPads so they could figure out how to incorporate them into the curriculum and their teaching style and apply them in the classroom,” she said.

Snodgress said one benefit of the iPad is that it has features that regular textbooks cannot incorporate.

“Electronic textbooks are very interactive. They have moving diagrams, examples and other elements that aren’t possible with regular textbooks,” he said.

Watts said the administration was surprised by the limited reactions from parents, but overall, the reactions had been enthusiastic.

“Many of our students already have iPads, so for them the announcement was a bit anticlimactic. Some parents wanted to be convinced that the iPads would actually enhance the learning experience. However, the reactions have generally been enthusiastic. It seems like everyone realizes that this a clear trend in education,” he said.

Pullen said the administration would continue to educate the parents who were not familiar with the tool.

“A majority of the kids in our school already have iPads, so it’s not really a foreign concept. We’re going to continue to inform everyone about the iPad’s use. I think once parents see the iPads in use, they’ll be amazed at how beneficial they are to learning,” she said.

Watts said despite everything the iPad can do, it would not replace the student-teacher relationships that are so appreciated by the Saint Stephen’s community.

“I’ve always believed the most important relationships in schools are between the students and teachers, and that is something we really value at Saint Stephen’s. We really want to reassure people that the iPads are not going to take over the classroom,” he said.

According to Pullen, the most important part of the iPad initiative is the way it will help students become more successful.

“I think we have a responsibility to our students to give them as many tools as possible, and if you look at the iPad as another way to develop educational skills, then you will really be better equipped,” she said.

Snodgress said he felt that if everyone worked together to discover the iPad’s educational potential, unlimited success would follow.

“With anything new comes a bit of apprehension. Change is scary to a lot of people, but it doesn’t need to be. We’re going through this process of discovery together, and we’re learning how to make our learning community better. So as long as we all stick together and share ideas, I believe that we will have great success,” he said.