Falcon baseball confronts tough loss to SW Florida Christian

Falcons are improving on the baseball field, despite yesterday’s loss.

Jackson Nealis

Gave Conn takes the plate against Southwest Florida Christian yesterday.

Jackson Nealis, Editor in Chief

The Falcon baseball team faced off yesterday in a home game against Southwest Florida Christian Kings from Ft. Myers, losing 13-3. 

The Falcon record this season is one win and four losses. The mid-season game against a powerful opponent with an 8 -2 record will be a rallying moment for the Falcons as they attempt to improve their 5th place position in the district and look towards success in the district tournament games in mid-April. 

The Falcon lineup, led by senior captains Matthew Talbot and Luke Donley, performed well against the Kings.

The team managed to take four outs from throw downs to second base on steals, and teamwork from Talbot, Cade Walters and Gabe Conn helped the Falcons to tag two runners out in a single play early in the first inning. 

Player Jake Seubert believes such plays shows that “We’re still improving, so that’s the good thing.”

Talbot believed the high points for the Falcons came on defense, noting that, “Overall, our pitching has been optimal, but yesterday we fell short.” 

Far from a discouraging setback, the Falcon baseball team, bonded together with their team traditions, is excited to finish the rest of their season, starting with an away game Thursday at 7pm against the IMG Navy Ascenders.

Indeed, pitcher Luke Donley leads the team’s Earned Run Average (ERA) with a low 2.80. Talbot believes that if the team wants to improve their record, they “definitely need to improve on fielding ground balls and base running.”

Turnout for a midseason home game was encouragingly high with many parents and students supporting the Falcons and Kings from the bleachers. Both teams amplified the competitive spirit with light-hearted insults and encouragement from their dugouts as their players stepped up to the plate or ran the bases. 

Falcon baseball players hope to see just as much enthusiasm from their fans on their approaching Senior Night on April 19th, when they take their home field at 4:30 pm to take on Sarasota Military Academy.