What to do when you just don’t care

Halfway through the year and already I’m starting to lose hope. If you are too, and are hoping to find some motivation, hopefully this article can help.

Evanthia Stirou

Frustration and exhaustion from school is something that happens to all of us.

Sanna Lexhed, Associate Editor

I have come to a point in the school year when I find myself reciting the words “I don’t care” over and over again. Five hours’ worth of homework? Don’t care. Two big tests tomorrow? Don’t care. A bunch of college applications due soon? I just don’t care

Now listen, of course, I do care— I care a whole lot.

I care about getting that homework done, I care about studying for those two tests, I care about putting my all into those college applications— I care about it all. But truthfully, as I near the midpoint of my senior year, that motivation to care about all those things has begun to decrease.

I know what you might be thinking— “Sanna, you’re only like, four months into the year.” Oh, believe me, I am WELL aware of that fact. I think what I am experiencing has a term. Ah yes! This is a famous phenomenon known all over the world as senioritis.

Senioritis is a “supposed affliction of students in their final year of high school or college, characterized by a decline in motivation or performance.”

We’ve all experienced it: the longing for something new; the dreaded months of repeating the same mundane routine; the getting annoyed with inanimate objects such as the Stress Relief labeled candle on your bedside table. No, my problems can’t be fixed with a eucalyptus + spearmint hybrid mix scent. 

No? Just me? Oh well, I’m sure you related to the first two points.

The point is, going to school five times a week for weeks, months, and years on end can get exhausting. Yes, learning is fun. But, it is also extremely stressful. There is so much pressure on doing “good” in school that it can oftentimes take away from the enjoyment school brings. 

I’m an 18-year-old senior in a very, very deep rut. 

Procrastinating doing homework by looking up “College Dorm Room Ideas” on Pinterest just isn’t cutting it anymore. I need to re-ignite the spark and excitement for learning that I once had. 

And if you have related to this story so far, you need to do that too. 

Out of desperation, I looked up “cures for senioritis” and found Urban Dictionary’s incredibly insightful advice: “The only cure for senioritis is to graduate or drop out.”

Two thoughts crossed my mind upon reading this: 1. Graduation is too far away, I need to fix this now, and 2. Dropping out would mean having to run away to some unknown little town in Pennsylvania with no money, no house, no nothing. Kind of like Henry David Thoreau. 

That’s a lot of work. If I can’t even find the motivation to do my homework at night, how could I possibly take on such a feat? 

Thanks for nothing Urban Dictionary.  

Out of even (more) desperation this time, I reached out to my fellow seniors to get some insight into what they’re doing to combat the rampage of fast-spreading senioritis.

To my surprise, the advice people gave me was actually incredibly helpful.

Saint Stephen’s senior Isabel Sevilla advised me to think ahead. “It’s easy to feel like all of this work we’re doing is for nothing. What motivates me is thinking about my future. When stuck on an assignment, I picture myself at my dream college, and suddenly, all of the work seems to have a purpose.”

Looking forward to upcoming events is one way of finding motivation, but if that doesn’t work for you, Saint Stephen’s senior Nikole Gaydos recommends looking backward to find some inspiration. 

“Whenever I get in a rut like most seniors tend to do, I find that reflecting on my past year always helps me get back on track. I think about how hard I’ve worked in previous years and don’t want to let my past self down. If that makes sense.”

That does make sense Nikole, it makes total sense.

Thinking back to all of the late-night study sessions reminds you of the hard work and effort you’ve applied to school in the past.

For those of you that made it to the end of this article, and didn’t let your senioritis get to you, I hope you found something you can take with you to motivate you to the end of the year in the best way possible.

We’re already about halfway through. YOU. CAN. DO. IT. Only like one hundred and… I’m not gonna finish that sentence.

The journey towards the end of this year may not be particularly fun nor easy, but take advantage of it. I know you’ve probably heard the phrase “You’re only a teenager once,” a million times but… I mean… It is a true statement after all. 

And like it or not, high school is a part of these precious teenage years that we are currently living in. Make the most out of what you have left, if you do, you might end up realizing it’s not all bad after all. 

5