Falcon fitness guide: How to get fit in 2016

Isadora Rosso, Culture Editor

Often, we think the only way to stay healthy is through extreme dieting or hitting the gym, hard. But this is simply not the truth. In addition, most people believe that dieting takes the pleasure away from the eating. I can reassure you that  there are many tasty alternatives to unhealthy products. For example, substitute your classic cereal bowl with an energizing acai bowl, or if you’re  craving a crunchy chocolate bar, have one of Atkin’s cereal bars, which in my opinion taste even better than any Hershey’s chocolate bar. Staying healthy can be fun and delicious if done right! With a little guidance, staying in shape is something that’s not a job, but rather a lifestyle to be proud off and look forward to.

Working out at the gym can be tedious and outright boring, maneuvering from one machine to another, dealing with the claustrophobia, and schlepping the weights from stations to station. The solution to this monotonous routine is to find a hobby you connect with to bring the heart rate up and push your body to the next level. For me and many Saint Stephen’s students, this fitness revelation was the discovery of boxing/kickboxing at University Parkway Title Club. These sports not only target a full body workout to tone muscles and improve strength, but they also prove to be a great fun and stress relief. The instructors go out of their way to engage everyone and to motivate each person so no soldier is left behind during the intense, 60-minute classes.

Despite her peaceful personality, Reagan Sullivan has found a true calling: “I’m not an aggressive person, so going into my first class I had no idea if I’d like it or not. I realized, though, that the class isn’t about the physical hitting as much as it is about pushing yourself to hit harder, be better, and supporting your friends round after round. I love it!”

Devon Sullivan, too, has discovered that boxing class is not just a great workout, but it’s also a place where she genuinely enjoys going day in and day out: “I really like how it’s non-threatening. The music is loud and trainers genuinely want to be there and be involved. Plus there’s a huge variety of people. It makes keeping up with fitness fun and really not feel like something you have to do.”

If you’re the type of person that simply hates exercising indoors, and joining a school team is not an option, there are many alternative ways you can stay active . Just ask senior Denis Gomonov. Apart from playing golf for Saint Stephen’s, Denis has a “side” hobby of professional cycling. The feeling of surpassing your physical limitations is what Denis finds a thrill in: “It’s all about testing your limit and getting a satisfaction from it.”

Living in florida gives us the advantage of year round, good weather and amazing views to motivate you to work up a sweat everyday. I  recently discovered one of the most amazing locations for outdoor activities: Robinson Preserve Park. The park animal-friendly, and it is perfect for running, walking, cycling, canoeing, and circuit training with your friends. Cristina Antonijuan has recently found her go-to place in the Robinson Preserve, saying, “There’s nothing better then going on a run in the robinson preserve because it’s perfect for any day- there’s enough shade for when it’s sunny and hot and open enough to stay warm on a chilly day.”

Stressed? Having experienced all the ups and downs that high school can have, I can advocate that exercising is not only a way for you to be able to look at yourself in the mirror and be happy with how you look, or for the obvious health component, but above all I have found that exercising  can take your mind off just about anything that is stressing you out.

Much like Dr.Ratey from Harvard Medical School said: “Exercising brings you a high that is equivalent to that which is from a drug.” It is exactly that: when you sweat and struggle to make it to that last mile your body produces a chemical which sends endorphins to your brain and not only do you feel accomplished mentally but also physically. Exercising brings you to a zone of detachment from whatever troubles you. It is no coincidence that often we hear people say, “I need to go on a run to get things out of my mind” or “Let’s go to the gym so we can relieve some stress.” The idea that exercising relieves stress is reality a very accurate and common one. I like to describe the feeling as, “the zone.” This is when you reach a point in your workout session that allows you to think about absolutely nothing–only  the exercise that you are currently doing. A good comparison of this is when a writer finally manages to break through a writer’s block, and in turn get in their “zone” of writing.

So by now you might be thinking, “Okay great, all I need to do is exercise everyday and I can say I’m fit.” Unfortunately, that’s only part of the job. Nutrition is a key component of living a healthy lifestyle. Don’t just take my word for it. The State Department of Health and Fitness in the government has also echoed the same, “Good nutrition is an important part of leading a healthy lifestyle. Combined with physical activity, your diet can help you to reach and maintain a healthy weight, and reduce your risk of chronic diseases.” Often we see athletes that make it big, but soon get injured or sick due to their diet and therefore compensate for their mediocre performance with steroids. This was seen with professional baseball player Alex Rodriquez, getting suspended for a year from the MLB for using PED’s (Performance Enhancement Drugs).  This common pattern is usually triggered by the false illusion that people have in regards to balancing eating with exercising. They often become complacent and say things like: “I worked my butt off today at the gym’ I deserve a burger and a shake!” What most people don’t know is that all the junk that we put in our bodies will have a negative effect on you either now or later on in life, but regardless of the logistical timing it is important to maintain a healthy diet.

Maintaining a healthy lifestyle is a culture,  and it’s one that once you start, you become addicted to it.  A good thing to be addicted to though, right? I have found that since I started this “journey” of being a better version of myself I not only feel happier but I have also seen how I can help change and influence those around me in a positive way as well.

Captain of the girls fall cheerleading squad, Taylor McCart, too, made this transformation.“I get up at 5:00 am every morning to do my three mile and although it’s hard to wake up that early after staying up late the night before,  I really do enjoy running, because throughout the whole day I feel much more energized and really feel more awake! Along with my exercising routine, I have also been doing an intense “diet” for three weeks now and I genuinely feel like I am in better shape. At first it was hard because I never really thought of what was actually healthy, like the amount of salt and the all different types of sugars but I’ve really started to watch that sort of thing. It has honestly been a huge success!.”