Innovation outside the classroom

Senior Shreya Patel shows her entrepreneurial spirit.

Isadora Rosso, Contributing Writer

When thinking about the lives of teenagers, specifically in high school, there’s one thing that comes to mind: the overwhelming feeling of the unknown and what’s in store for the next chapters of their lives. For entrepreneur Shreya Patel, however, the future seems pretty bright. She’s started a new fashion campaign called “Voz,” an accessory line created to raise money for the Girls, Inc. organization in Sarasota, Florida. Living in a society where materialism and status are a driving force for most teenagers, Patel is far beyond her years, with the vision able to make a change in the world.

The Girls Inc. organization is a company that helps young girls achieve their dreams, despite their economical background. It inspires them to advocate for their beliefs, and stand up for their rights in a world where change and racism is still under process. Voz Accessories is a non-profit business where all proceeds go to Girls Inc.

Supplies are produced in Patel’s hometown India, where manufacturer Amishaa and her team put together a collection of headbands based on Patel’s designs.  Products are then parceled back to the U.S. The average cost for each headband is 18 dollars. The total profit so far has been $1000 dollars and Patel is hoping to make $14,00 dollars this year (all expenses included). When I sat down to interview Patel, the excitement and light in her eyes demonstrated just how much this project is means to her.

Isa: What inspired you to do this?

Shreya Patel: ” I, like many 17-year-old girls, love to travel. In fact, I’ve been fortunate enough to have explored countries in Europe, North America, and even Asia. With family members who have grown up in places such as Kenya, U.K, and India, I have been exposed to many different cultures. Having been raised in a small town in Florida, I have always wanted to raise awareness of those cultures to my community. I want to make sure my voice is heard in this community. Girls who don’t really have the opportunity to go to the places I go to deserve to have same experiences.”

I: Where did you get the name from ? Does it have anything to do with spanish culture?

S: My Headband designs by my favorite places around the globe that I have been to. From roaming streets of Granada, Spain, or dancing at weddings in India, I aim to sew an experience in to every headband. With a “Voz” (spanish for voice) and many experiences to share, I founded Voz Accessories.

I: Did anyone help you through this process ?

S: My mom and dad helped me by encouraging me, but I made sure that they did not do anything for me in process. I knew that starting this business was my first step to showing my creativity to the world, and I had to make sure that I was 100% into it, not my parents. They have already blessed me by taking me around the world, so this isn’t just for the Girls Inc. It’s for my parents too.

I: What obstacles did you face a long the way ?

S: In terms of obstacles: School work, social life, and just keeping up with everything that goes while starting this business was a challenge.

I: Do you see a future with this project? If so, what would be your dream goal for Voz?

S: My dream for Voz? Well it’s already exceeded my expectations. But I want to continue it during college as I know I will make more connections and strengthen my network.

I: Out of all the charities in the world why did you decide to contribute to this specific one ?

S: I Volunteered at Girls Inc two summers ago and fell in love with what they do. Every girl has a chance in this world no matter what socio economic background she comes from. That’s the core of it.

Coming from such a diverse background has really helped Patel become an innovative thinker. She has inherited cultural knowledge. Even though she didn’t get a lot of outside help she was able to use her parents support and encouragement in order to motivate herself and be able to balance both her education and starting a business, while trying to maintain a balanced social life. After hearing Patel talk about her new project and how she got inspired to help these girls, I believe this will lead to future innovations with-in our community and motivate young generations to advocate for their passions. Furthermore, being a consumer of this product I would recommend it to any girl and even guys that are looking for a nice present to give their loved ones. Voz Accessories, is not just any hair band, each one has a story behind it and every time you purchase one you are contributing to a great cause.

FullSizeRender
The New Delhi Design
FullSizeRender-3
The Granda Design
FullSizeRender-2
Her Latest designs that just came in hoping to achieve that $1400 dollar mark. #gogreenorgohome