Senior Walk kicks off graduation season

The Class of 2015 poses for a photo with Dr. Pullen and Mr. Forrester after their procession.

Devon Sullivan, News and Sports Editor

The entire Saint Stephen’s population gathers in anticipation around the Upper School Palm Courtyard on a sunny Wednesday morning. Head of school Jan Pullen and Upper School Director Andrew Forrester introduce the graduating class of 2015 as a flurry of caps and gowns make their way into view. Green and yellow tassels sway while the seniors walk around the campus they have called home for the pinnacle of their high school career. A speaker located in the Palm Courtyard plays an eclectic, nostalgic mix of songs to score the event, resulting in teachers, students and parents going from crying to laughing as soon as the tempo of “What a Wonderful World”, shifted to the uplifting beat of “Celebration”.

Senior Walk is an an emotional tradition that marks the end of an era, signifying the closing of an academic year. Senior Tim Macchi explains, “It’s really the beginning of the graduation season.”

But, the Senior Walk is about the present. Sure, there are feelings of excitement, hesitation and even fear. Some students are busy trying to decide where they’ll will choose to spend the next chapter of their academic career.

Regardless, faculty, fledglings and friendly faces of all ages gather to support and cheer on the seniors. Everyone is so proud. Senior Luc Goeders finds value in the tradition: “It gives the younger students something to look forward to,” he said.

It’s a happy occasion that emphasizes taking a step back and reflecting upon all the hard work that the Seniors have put into excelling academically. Everyone will miss the class of 2015, but their final few weeks as Falcons were honored in timeless, Saint Stephen’s style.