New kids on the block: six students join Saint Stephen’s in January

Indre Zalepuga, Features Editor

Felix picnew girl 2new girl 1

With second semester in session and the reality of switching schools for some students, the time comes for sorrowful goodbyes and the streaming of tears down faces of friends and family. Some students head to new countries, while others transfer to schools in-town. Whatever the pretenses, switching schools is a daunting task. But little do transfer students know that being the “new kid in school” may be an important door into life’s journey. Although it may seem impossible in the beginning, it will be beneficial to them as an adult in the end.

For the second semester, six new students enrolled in Saint Stephen’s, some international, such as Germany and China, while others come from local schools.

“I wanted to go to a regular private school,” said sophomore Carson Kneeves, as that was the reason for his transfer from IMG Pendleton School, close by in Bradenton.

Junior Miles Foster also said he came here for the education, from Manatee High School and wanted to have other students who shared similar interests as him.

“The classes had a lot of distractions and the teachers got off topic. The teachers talk more directly to you here and they teach their lesson more efficiently,” he said.

Putting aside the thought of being a “new kid” in a foreign country, sophomore Iris Yan, from China, is determined to stay positive about everything she encounters, especially in the classroom, where English is her second language.

“If I can’t understand some classes, that’s okay, I’ll be positive. I’ll try my best to communicate with people,” she said.

Sophomore Arwen Qiu, also from China, said that she first saw the school on the web, especially a 3-D video of the campus.

“I know the school is good in its academics. It has the best academics and best facilities from which I could choose from,” she added.

Junior Felix Ochsenkuehn, from Germany, decided to attend Saint Stephen’s because he wanted to learn English and added that this intention has been working so far.

Kneeves really admires the buildings here at Saint Stephen’s, saying that they’re “ten times” the condition of those compared at his previous school. He also noted that the school is focused more on arts instead of sports, a difference from IMG. Although Saint Stephen’s boasts a reputation of having accommodating buildings, Ochsenkuehn said he would still like to eat better food in the cafeteria.

Yan was drawn to come to the school all the way from China because of the generosity and support of the teachers. She said that prior to coming here she was in contact with the teachers by email.

“There are lots of clubs and activities and, additionally, I can have fun here,” Yan said.

It is very understandable that if you leave your home country, friends and family will especially be missed. This was what Yan and Qiu experienced when they left China and flew half-way across the world.

“In my school back home, we all speak Chinese, so I can communicate fluently [with friends] and we can have jokes that we all understand. I [miss going] out with them,” Yan said.

She also mentioned that the biggest difference between her school in China and Saint Stephen’s is the class structure. In China, all of the students need to take the same classes everyday while here, there is more variety of classes that are offered.

Qiu used to go to a boarding school back in China. She said that some days after class they have some free time, while on other days they don’t have time for extra activities. She also added that when you’re in a day-school, you have to manage your time. In a boarding school, there are fewer distractions.

“[At my school in China], our phones were taken away for the whole week. Some students would bring two phones and they hand in one and still have one. I used to do that all the time. I never handed in my real phone. That’s crazy, right?” Qiu said.

She also heard that the dorm administrator even checks the students’ bags and sometimes if the administrators find a phone, they take it away.

While in Qiu’s boarding school, everyone had their phones with them and even had to turn them in, Ochsenkuehn was not used to having so much access to these gadgets, such as iPads and other technical devices during school time in Germany.

“It’s free here. They don’t take our phones away,” Qiu mentioned as that was the biggest change for her.

Throughout the day, Qiu’s schedule consisted of nine classes.

“We cannot choose our classes. I took Chinese, math, English, physics, chemistry, biology, geography, history, and P.E., each class [spanning] 45 minutes,” she said.

Joining a sports team tends to be an easier option to meet new faces, while at the same time perfecting your skills.

Qiu said she wants to continue to run track in the spring and Ochsenkuehn, who played soccer for a club in Germany, will continue to advance his skills here.

When it comes to the new students, Miles Foster says it pretty well: “Everyone wants to succeed here.”