Five Falcon athletes enter senior year committed to esteemed universities

Credit to Instagram’s @MermaidEllie

Devon Sullivan, Contributing Writer

Entering senior year at a high school as rigorous as Saint Stephen’s, the only thing on the average 12th graders mind is sending out a myriad of college applications, and the last minute absorption of facts before SATs and ACTs. However, not all soon-to-be graduates are wondering what school they’ll be attending. Five Saint Stephen’s seniors, Zach Bessette, Wyatt Knopfke, Nicole Johnston, Toby Howell and Ellie Berdusco, have demonstrated dominance in sport as well as academia, resulting in scholarships from impressive institutions to compete at the collegiate level.

Zach Bessette says that in some regards, not much has changed since accepting his scholarship to play tennis for Bucknell University, in Pennsylvania. He is still seeking as many AP credits as possible. “That way I don’t have to worry about it in college”, Bessette explained.

However, his acceptance has brought upon an attitude that he considers “more loose”. “I feel the importance of it [playing tennis], definitely, but its more so just that now losing doesn’t matter.”

Bucknell wasn’t the only college to recruit Zach. He considered denying Bucknell’s offer, as they don’t offer athletic scholarships, whereas other schools offered to pay for tuition. But, high academics, good location, and a strong tennis program convinced him that it was the right choice. “I really loved the coach and just when I visited it felt like home.’

Wyatt Knopfke has a scholarship offered in writing from Boston College. “I will apply, I will be accepted, and will sign around the first week in February,” Knopfke said. His National Letter of Intent will bind him to one year of football at BC.

At one point, Wyatt also weighed The BC offer against other opportunities. In the end, though, thinking about his future made him decide that a degree from Boston College was the best decision, as he could utilize their strong professional network in the North East. “One day football is going to stop calling my name. I want to be standing somewhere pretty well financially. Being able to get a good job is important to me.”

For Nicole Johnston, her ranking in tennis tournaments is no longer a stress-inducing factor during her senior year. She, too, has felt a weight lifted off her shoulders upon committal to Cornell. Her dedication on the court, however, hasn’t faltered in the slightest. “[The pressure] is still there, the wanting to compete,” Johnston said.

Playing tennis at Cornell was the optimal opportunity for this student-athlete. “I can compete at a high level while still focusing on academics,” Johnston said. Her said committal next fall never warranted any apprehension, as her unofficial visit to the school and strong connection to the coaches and new teammates solidified her belief that attending this Ivy League school was the right choice. Although she still needs to formally fill out the common application and declare for early decision, she will receive a Likely Letter in the mail, guaranteeing acceptance and a spot on their elite roster.

Toby Howell’s scholarship to Marquette hasn’t changed the amount of effort he puts into soccer. His competitive streak hasn’t faded. “Just because it isn’t as necessary as before to win, I still want to do it.”

Having seven days to decide on a school could stress out other athletes, but Howell discussed with his family and committed officially on the fifth day, feeling he had found the perfect fit. Synergy with coaches and a desire for family competition is what made him comfortable signing on with the Marquette Golden Eagles. “I really wanted to play in the Big East and join my sister,” Toby said with a smile, referencing Hannah, a sophomore at Georgetown who was also recruited for soccer. “I wanted to be rivals with her, too.”

Ellie Berdusco recently returned from an official recruiting trip to the University of Notre Dame with a verbal commitment to swim for the Division II school. Berdusco understands that although she’s found a place on the swim team in South Bend, Indiana, there’s still a need for athletic and academic performance in Bradenton. Berdusco said she needs to continue to “focus in the classroom to get good grades, and in the pool to keep the times up, since the coaches will be looking at the times.” She explained that there’s “less pressure, but not a change in effort”.

The idea of not joining the Fighting Irish in the pool never crossed her mind. “Notre Dame’s been my dream school since day one.” When visiting, this sentiment was only reinforced in her mind, getting a taste of the Notre Dame family and attending a football game where the Irish shut out Michigan 31-0. Ellie seemed to speak for all of these immensely talented athletes stating, “I couldn’t be more happy with my decision.”