Boys and girls lacrosse dominate at Senior Night

Both the boys and girls lacrosse teams had a big night at the MAC to celebrate senior night.

Paige Liebel

The 11 girls lacrosse players were honored yesterday evening at Senior Night.

Jackson Nealis, Editor in Chief

The Saint Stephen’s Varsity lacrosse teams flew past their challengers on their Senior Night, which took place Thursday evening. The girls lacrosse team defeated the Calvary Christian Warriors 18-3, and the boys cruised by the rival Out of Door Academy 17-2.

The Lady Falcons continued their undefeated 10-0 record by defeating the Clearwater based Warriors. The Falcons were able to keep possession of the ball away from their opponents and score goal after goal. 

Senior Emma Klien contributes this success to how the Falcons “communicate with each other really well and play the game at our own pace.” 

Junior Sienna Cassella leads the team in goal averages, scoring 4.6 goals per game.. With this win, the Falcon girls team maintains their ranking as the top team in the Tampa Bay area and they are the number five team in Class 1A.

The boys lacrosse team has a similarly strong Senior Night with a 17-2 win against rival ODA. The team recovered from their defeat last week against Ft. Myers’ Bishop Verot to improve their already strong record to 7-1. The Boy Falcons are ranked first in their district and 22 in Class 1A.

Last evening was a special event for both Falcon teams because it was Senior Night. Each senior playing lacrosse at Saint Stephen’s was honored in between the girls and boys games, with each walking out on the field, escorted by their family with their lives and future plans celebrated. 

Each senior walking under the lacrosse banner was reminded of their memories as lacrosse players during the past four years, both on and off the field. Each senior had a special poster made by their teammates with funny pictures that their friends and family used to cheer them on as they took the field. 

Senior Lacrosse star Rowan Bilik reflected that the tradition was, to him, “cool to be honored by all your teammates.” 

He was proud of his younger teammates who helped make the event a success, believing the event was “cool for them too because they’re going to be honored when it’s their time.” 

The Falcon lacrosse season continues, with the girls playing Gulf Coast High school from Naples next Tuesday at home and the boys playing tonight away against Cypress Creek.