Why are injuries so common in high school sports?

HS athletics are a great way to get active and make friends. The downside, though, is you’re far more likely to be injured.

Bella Rosa

Photo by: Bella Rosa

Danny Dodaj, Staff Writer

Sprinting down the wing with the soccer ball, out of nowhere I was slide tackled by a defender on the opposing team. The next thing I knew, my shin guard flew off to the sideline, my leg screamed with pain, and I thought I had torn a muscle. I was out for a week and I missed an important game.

Injuries are a common problem in high school sports. According to the National Library  in 2005, more than 7 million high school students participated in sports. Out of those 7 million, more than 1.4 million injuries were sustained.  When you do the math, that’s 1 out of 7 athletes will find themselves sidelined with injury. 

High school sports provide a great way to bond with your friends and teammates. They create memories that will last a lifetime. However, the downside to high school sports is that many student-athletes suffer injuries while in training or during games, and to a much greater extent than in club sports.  

An important aspect to this is players often play multiple sports throughout the year or simultaneously, and they push themselves too hard.  This can lead to injury. 

SSES Athletic Trainer Kelly Conway explained, “Playing consecutive and dual sports that use similar muscle groups repeatedly can lead to overuse injuries. It is important to acknowledge that injury prevention can be accomplished by both coaches and athletes.” 

Another issue can be when players haven’t played all year. When an athlete is unconditioned and they suddenly play at high intensity, or too frequently, they are more prone to getting hurt.

“I think players get injured because they are not in physical shape,” explained the varsity girls soccer coach Mr. Cotton. “We had far less injuries last year because they were in the weight room at least two days a week.” 

Thinking about this, it’s crucial for athletes to condition before the season, getting their bodies ready for the road ahead.

Coach Kelly added: “Although it is impossible to 100% prevent injuries, there are preventative measures that can be taken to lessen the risk of them. Ensuring that training load has a gradual increase and helping correct any improper technique or form in athletes.” 

1