The Gauntlet

StuCo elections are coming up. Here are the dates and positions

Student Council elections are coming soon. Here is a preview of election dates and positions available (in case you're feeling up for running).

Mark Gharby, News Editor

StuCo (Student Council) elections are around the corner, and elections for the student-led governing body are open to the entire school.

Student Council Executive Board (president, vice president, treasurer, secretary, publicist) speeches are set for assembly, in front of the upper school, on April 24th.  Elections will be held directly after.

Grade level StuCo Representative elections will be done in grade level advisory meetings on May 1st.  There are two reps elected per grade.

This year, StuCo, in cooperation with senior Carter Beckstein, recently made a constitutional change which added two new positions: the Parliamentarian and Operations Director.  Below are the available positions, along with a brief synopsis of the responsibilities of each role.

Executive Board Officers

President: The president calls meetings, runs assemblies, oversees all events, assigns jobs to the other Student Council members, schedules events, and leads the student body.

Vice President: The Vice President assists the president in all of his/her duties, and fills in for the president if they cannot serve.

Secretary: The secretary takes notes during meetings, keeps track of spirit points, creates new documents when needed, creates rubrics, and makes sure all important information is recorded.

Treasurer: The treasurer balances the budget and oversees the financial aspect of events and fundraisers.

Publicist: The publicist is in charge of conveying all information from the Student Council to the rest of the upper school. He/she is responsible for ensuring everyone is well informed.

General Council Members: 

Class representatives: Two students per grade level are elected by their class to convey the ideas of their peers to the council. They are a crucial part of the council’s work.

Additional members:

Parliamentarian: The parliamentarian is in charge of the election process, and overseeing the Student Council Constitution and council members.

Operations director: The director of operations helps with tech and operations. This person is to be voted in by the executive board, and then approved by the president. 

Competition will be fierce this year.  Have any thoughts?  Feel free to submit a comment or a Letter to the Editor.

About the Writer
Mark Gharby, News Editor

Mark Gharby joined The Gauntlet for the 2018-2019 year. He is passionate about soccer.

1 Comment

One Response to “StuCo elections are coming up. Here are the dates and positions”

1. Carter Beckstein on April 15th, 2019 3:17 pm

Thank you for reminding everyone of the offices and their responsibilities. I would also recommend that everyone read the new Constituiton, which has the full lists of responsibilties of each office, many of which are not included here. The VP is also in charge of all spirit events and chairing the spirit committee; the treasurer must head a community book sale at the beginning of the year; the secretary must keep in writing notes on what happens in every meeting and get them to every council member weekly. There are other key facets that at the very least each candidate should familiarize themselves with, especially as they are changes from prior years. That constitution should be available online and in the library very soon; if you would like to see it sooner, feel free to ask Student Council representatives and advisors.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• StuCo elections are coming up.  Here are the dates and positions

On Campus

How to talk to a senior about college

On Campus

Thoughts on prom (from a senior who hates social events)

On Campus

It’s time for you to do nothing

On Campus

Photo Gallery: Senior Walk

On Campus

Gym Day results are in

On Campus

The best (and worst) parts of being a Forever Falcon

On Campus

Upper school music program visits New Orleans

On Campus

The ghosts of the Falcon Playhouse

On Campus

PowderPuff to return March 22

On Campus

What to do with your boo on Valentine’s Day