PowderPuff to return March 22

The hallways in the Upper School will soon be buzzing in preparation for Gym Day, which features the much-touted PowderPuff Football Game. Classes are beginning to prepare for the much anticipated showdown.

Mark Gharby, News Editor

Every year for Gym Day, the Student Council plans a fun day of games and competition for the Upper School classes.  The winners of each event earn spirit points for their class, which ultimately leads to the Spirit Busch Gardens trip. StuCo and the class presidents have released the schedule of events and rules for 2019’s Gym Day on SSESonline.

Gym Day will take place on March 22nd, the last day of school before Spring Break.

The return of Powderpuff Football is the most anticipated event, along with the match’s accompanying “Boys Cheer Squad.” Upon this event’s implementation last year, upper school students began practicing for the competition weeks in advance. This portion of Gym Day will take place outdoors on the football field.

The indoor part of Gym Day will include the classics: Basketball, Soccer, Dodgeball, Volleyball, and Castles. Those interested in participating in any events should speak to their class presidents. Each person is only allowed to participate in one indoor event.

Upon the conclusion of the sports events, the entire Upper School gathers at an all-school cookout, where faculty and administration set up a large grill and drink station for the students.

• Junior boys Cheer Team practices their routines during the pre-game warm-up.

• Captain Jim Class gets the junior team ready for dodgeball in the gym.

• Opponents race to pick up the dodgeballs at the halfway line.

• The smell of burgers and dogs fills the air for the all-upper school cookout following gym day.

• Junior Noah LaBelle sauces the rock during a dogeball showdown.

• Max Damm ’19 gets low for the strike.

• Magnum Traub ’19 launches a dodgeball.