The Gauntlet

Karaoke comes to chapel?

Chapel occurs every Tuesday and Friday for the Upper School. Group singing would be a great addition; it would boost spirit, bring students together, and enhance our time at Christ Church. Here's the case for chapel karaoke.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Karaoke comes to chapel?

Olivia Elisha, Staff Writer

Remember when you were in the Intermediate School, walking into chapel and chatting with friends? After a few moments of gossip, the piano would start softly in the background and teachers would soon be singing along with the words projected near the podium, waiting for you to join in.

When we were young Falcons, having everyone sing together in chapel created a fun and light-hearted atmosphere, with a sense of community in chapel across all grades.

After 6th graders go to the middle school the music during chapel stops, and the only melodies heard come from occasional performances.

Take a moment to think about why we have chapel, particularly in the Upper School, and what the experience is like. Most students see it as a time for senior speeches, and for most seniors, a graduation requirement. The general structure includes a prayer, a couple of speeches, and maybe a mini lesson or reflection by Reverend Rich.

This year, the Upper School student vestry has scheduled time during chapel to incorporate more music. Setting this time aside not only offers the opportunity for music performances by students or the Falcon voices, but also creates a space where the upper school could potentially have sing-alongs, where everyone joins together in song and creates a greater sense of community.

Senior Ellie Lowe, who has  been in charge of the PowerPoint presentations that are projected during chapel, has been advocating for something like this.  “I think it’s a lot of fun and it’s a way to involve students,” said Lowe.

Would you be willing to sing in chapel?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Although Saint Stephen’s is an Episcopal school, this doesn’t mean that the song choice would be limited to traditional Christian music, or even religious music at all. Contemporary faith-based songs are often more upbeat and exciting, often similar to a pop song that’d be on the radio, as opposed to the slower, more hymnal music most people think of. There are also plenty of songs that aren’t religious and which are school appropriate that could be sung.

“I’d definitely be open to singing in chapel even if it starts as a prelude or postlude,” said student chaplain, Senior Caroline Kelly, who’s been on the Vestry since her freshman year.

The idea is to bring the school together, and this is one way to do just that. Implementing songs in chapel would recreate that unity and friendship among the Upper School that everyone felt while in the Intermediate School with songs we all know and love to sing.

Comment what songs you would like to sing in chapel down below.

About the Writer
Olivia Elisha, Staff Writer

Olivia Elisha joined The Gauntlet this 2018-2019 school year. She really enjoys theater and is an active member of her church band. Olivia is also a member...

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Karaoke comes to chapel?”

1. Susan Kelly on October 22nd, 2018 9:53 pm

I absolutely LOVE the 12 days of Christmas sing-along and the giggles and joy it brings to everyone! Chapel CAN be “slow”, but when everyone has the ability to be involved should they choose, it is MUCH more “enticing”, even for adults! I love the idea of bringing “singing” to chapel! It is by far one of my favorite parts of church!

2. Mr Forrester on October 23rd, 2018 7:18 am

‘My Lighthouse’ is a favorite!

3. Mr Forrester on October 23rd, 2018 9:00 am

And – for All Saints Day… Please join in singing ‘When the Saints go Marching In’

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Karaoke comes to chapel?

On Campus

Top ten study techniques to ace your exams

• Karaoke comes to chapel?

On Campus

Advisory Door Decoration Competition preview

• Karaoke comes to chapel?

On Campus

Academic team season recap (Senior Night on Dec. 4th!)

• Karaoke comes to chapel?

On Campus

Spring musical cast announced

• Karaoke comes to chapel?

On Campus

Local journalist Dennis Maley visits the Gauntlet

• On Campus

SSES to support local refugee relocation program

• Karaoke comes to chapel?

On Campus

StuCo Coin Wars ends Wednesday at 3pm

• Karaoke comes to chapel?

On Campus

Video: Falcon Voices perform at Friday’s chapel

• Karaoke comes to chapel?

On Campus

Gallery of the Day: Homecoming Court

• Karaoke comes to chapel?

On Campus

Homecoming 2018: Dance Off Video