Karaoke comes to chapel?

Chapel occurs every Tuesday and Friday for the Upper School. Group singing would be a great addition; it would boost spirit, bring students together, and enhance our time at Christ Church. Here’s the case for chapel karaoke.

Olivia Elisha, Staff Writer

Remember when you were in the Intermediate School, walking into chapel and chatting with friends? After a few moments of gossip, the piano would start softly in the background and teachers would soon be singing along with the words projected near the podium, waiting for you to join in.

When we were young Falcons, having everyone sing together in chapel created a fun and light-hearted atmosphere, with a sense of community in chapel across all grades.

After 6th graders go to the middle school the music during chapel stops, and the only melodies heard come from occasional performances.

Take a moment to think about why we have chapel, particularly in the Upper School, and what the experience is like. Most students see it as a time for senior speeches, and for most seniors, a graduation requirement. The general structure includes a prayer, a couple of speeches, and maybe a mini lesson or reflection by Reverend Rich.

This year, the Upper School student vestry has scheduled time during chapel to incorporate more music. Setting this time aside not only offers the opportunity for music performances by students or the Falcon voices, but also creates a space where the upper school could potentially have sing-alongs, where everyone joins together in song and creates a greater sense of community.

Senior Ellie Lowe, who has  been in charge of the PowerPoint presentations that are projected during chapel, has been advocating for something like this.  “I think it’s a lot of fun and it’s a way to involve students,” said Lowe.

Would you be willing to sing in chapel?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Although Saint Stephen’s is an Episcopal school, this doesn’t mean that the song choice would be limited to traditional Christian music, or even religious music at all. Contemporary faith-based songs are often more upbeat and exciting, often similar to a pop song that’d be on the radio, as opposed to the slower, more hymnal music most people think of. There are also plenty of songs that aren’t religious and which are school appropriate that could be sung.

“I’d definitely be open to singing in chapel even if it starts as a prelude or postlude,” said student chaplain, Senior Caroline Kelly, who’s been on the Vestry since her freshman year.

The idea is to bring the school together, and this is one way to do just that. Implementing songs in chapel would recreate that unity and friendship among the Upper School that everyone felt while in the Intermediate School with songs we all know and love to sing.

Comment what songs you would like to sing in chapel down below.