Policy on students going to cars during school day creates buzz

A new rule now requires a teacher’s supervision for walking out to students’ cars. Here’s the overview.

Jacob Whorf, Staff Writer

A newly implemented policy on students going out to their cars during the day has been put in place for upper school Falcons, and it has created quite a buzz on campus. The rule restricts students from walking out to their vehicles alone, and requires that they head out to the parking lot under a teacher’s supervision.

Prior to the new policy, which went into effect this fall, students were able to go to Mr. Holt to receive a car pass. Drivers could walk out and return to their cars on their own, necessitating a level of trust.  Due to a several reasons, this ability to head to the parking lot during the day has been reconsidered. 

Generally speaking, the reasons for the switch come down to the idea that many students were wasting time by heading out to the parking lot, and secondly, current events that have heightened the school’s safety concerns. 

Students are reacting to the new norm with mixed reviews.  Zoey Block, a Saint Stephen’s junior, gave The Gauntlet an interesting view of both sides.

Block said, “The new rule can be nice because I either have Mr. Forrester or Mrs. Klein to talk to when I walk out to my car. I enjoy the little conversations I have when I go to my car.”

But the rule also comes with downsides. Block added, “The new rule can be inconvenient because if I want to get something from my car but Mr. Forrester and Mrs. Klein are busy, I’m not able to go.”

When walking out to my car with Mrs. Klein, she mentioned to me that the purpose behind the new rule is to “strengthen the safety and security of our students,” making sure nothing happens to them out in the parking lot.

Mrs. Klein also commented that “the world’s a different place now,” meaning the heightened security the new rule adds has been implemented due to current events.

Though the new rule adds an element of safety, it also serves an alternative purpose. According to Mrs. Klein, the new rule also keeps the students from abusing their time out in the parking lot, which in all fairness, has been an issue.

Students have to be efficient, going out to their car, grabbing what they need and heading back, rather than lingering out of class.

Overall, the new rule in place keeps students safe and efficient with their time, however, there is an element of restriction that has students feeling “over-watched.”  Falcons love the upper school due to the enhanced freedoms and trust level that has always been a part of upper school experience.  The last thing students want is for that to go away.  Perhaps there is a compromise to be had.