To work, or not to work? That is the question for many Falcons

Nowadays, students are involved in more things than ever, including the American workforce.

Samson Yang, Columnist

Clayton Wilkinson, junior, works the register at Poppos.

Students do a lot outside of school. Some do sports, some do arts, and recently, there has been an increase in SSES students with jobs.

After talking to a few Falcons, I found that those who are employed have mixed feelings about their jobs. Some dislike it, while others love the working environment.

Those who dislike their jobs are sometimes forced by their parents to get employed and start making their own money.

Junior Fisher Lindsey is planning on applying to Poppo’s Taqueria this winter because his parents have strongly encouraged that he get a job. Despite the stigma, some students are still excited to work because they want to experience employment.

Clayton Wilkinson, Junior, is facing similar pressure to work.  Wilkinson noted, “My parents are making me apply for a job, but I’m still motivated to work and have these experiences.”

My parents are making me apply for a job, but I’m still motivated to work and have these experiences.

— Clayton Wilkinson

Gaining work experience in high school has several advantages. One is the ability to pursue and develop new interests. Another is to engage in the community and have some economic independence. Students with their own spending money are able to have more fun with their friends without having to worry about constantly asking their parents for money.

Personally, after working at Billabong last summer for a couple of months, I gained communication and teamwork skills that I would not have learned in school. On the other hand, I realized that I never want to work in the clothing industry again.  Folding clothes is not my thing.

I started working for the same reason as most: to make some money. Despite bearing with irritable customers,  I left that job feeling better because I had some new experiences and most importantly, I had some cash.

Besides these advantages, many students are discouraged when they hear the words “get a job” because of the problem with time management. Balancing school work and employment seems difficult.

Senior Ryan Thompson crams all of his working hours at Blaze Pizza in Sarasota on the weekends. Despite his whole weekend being occupied, he has the week days to grind homework and have fun with his friends.

But still, the question remains whether students should actually have jobs. Sure a student might have some more spending money and financial independence, but do they have the time to do so? We want to know what you think, leave your opinion on the poll below.

Do you think students should have jobs?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...