You may not like it, but school is good for you

When you’re falling asleep in class, just remember: school will help you in the long run.

Danny Dodaj

High school Physics teacher Mr. Carlson poses with Danny Dodaj with holding a physics quiz.

Danny Dodaj, Staff Writer

Can you imagine yourself if you hadn’t received any kind of education? 

Would you even be able to read this article?  Understand it to the fullest extent? Probably not, and the interesting thing is, we rarely ever stop to think about the importance of education. Education is part of our daily lives, and without it, we humans would not improve and grow.  

Everyone remembers being a little kid, when all you desired to do was have fun and spend time with your friends. You probably looked forward to recess and lunch time, but the actual school work was never really a priority. 

As we got older, most of us began to realize there’s more to life than just “play time.”  School serves to teach us things we would never gain without going through the process.   

School teaches you social skills, such as learning cooperation with peers, self control, curiosity, and communication. Without these traits working with other people would be difficult. 

According to Go Strengths, “School is not only a place where children learn reading, writing and math. It is also a place where they learn to get along with other people and develop social skills. Social skills are the skills we need to interact adaptively to our cultural environment.” Everyday encounters with peers and with teachers teach us how to communicate in the real world.

Not only does education play a role in our thinking, it also plays an important role in our mental health. 

According to News Medical Life Sciences, Higher levels of education have been associated with better mental health; having a greater number of choices creates more control over lives and better security.

Although education can be associated with mental health, its benefits can also improve your problem solving skills. Schools teach us to identify problems, brainstorm solutions, and test solutions. 

According to SNHU, “Higher education is linked to increased career stability, and satisfaction as well as having the ability to make an impact on your community.” The things we learn through all levels of education can help get us jobs as well as make our minds tools so that we can use them to help us through everyday obstacles. 

Education helps us expand our knowledge and potential as human beings, as well as build amazing stress coping mechanisms for students to use throughout their lives. 

Not only did education shape our thinking and mental health,  it also helped make our minds a tool that we could use for everyday things. Without education we would face more challenges in life without knowing solutions. Education makes us more complete individually and as a society. 

1