What should you watch next? Students share their top Netflix picks

Kassandra Haakman, Co-Editor in Chief

Netflix, despite being relatively new, has become really popular and has even served to replace cable television for many people.

This isn’t any different among Saint Stephen’s students, as most of them have a Netflix account and use it on a regular basis. One problem with Netflix, however, is that it has such a wide selection of movies and shows that people often can’t decide what to watch.

This problem is especially bad with TV shows, as high school students have busy lives and often have trouble deciding whether or not to commit to watching a show.

Therefore, the Gauntlet has decided to provide a list of the best Netflix shows, each one chosen by a Saint Stephen’s high school student as their favorite. (Note: These shows are not presented in any particular order.)

Stranger things, a Netflix original, is Sophomore Salina Yathiraj’s favorite Netflix show. It is a very popular show that most high school students have already watched or heard about, but for those who don’t know, it tells the story of a group of kids in a small town in 1980s Indiana who search for a missing friend, who disappeared mysteriously. It really captures the atmosphere of the 80s and blends sci-fi, mystery, and thriller elements to make an engaging story that keeps viewers glues to their screen and promotes binge watching. When asked why it’s her favorite show, Salina said “It’s action filled, and who doesn’t love Millie Bobby Brown!”

Freshman Anusha Singh chose Limitless as her favorite Netflix show. Limitless is the story of an ordinary person who takes a drug called NZT that greatly increases his intelligence and gives him other powers. It is based on a movie of the same name, but watching the movie is not required to understand the show. Anusha said she likes Limitless “because the main character is smart and I can relate to him.”

Black Mirror is Sophomore Michael Mills’s favorite Netflix show. It is a more modern take on The Twilight Zone, a show from the 1960s. Like The Twilight Zone, each episode of Black Mirror tells a short, isolated story that usually ends with a moral or a twist. Many of these stories are sci-fi or fantasy and are very weird or unusual. Many people like it because it deals with modern issues. Also, it doesn’t require a huge commitment, as it’s episodes are unrelated, so its fans include casual and dedicated viewers alike. Michael likes Black Mirror because it’s “interesting because the show is different every episode.”

Junior Astrid Culp’s favorite Netflix show is The Office (the U.S. version), a comedy show about the employees of a paper company. It includes characters that follow many well known stereotypes and was filmed in the form of a documentary. It is based off the original British version of the show and has many of the same types of characters and story lines; however, it was changed to relate more to an American audience. Astrid says she likes The Office because “I relate with Jim Halpert on an emotional and spiritual level; although in reality I’m probably more of a Kelly Kapoor.”

Finally, an anonymous contributor cites Voltron: Legendary Defender as their favorite Netflix show. It’s a fantasy cartoon show about teenagers that fly robotic lions through space and is a reboot of an anime that was made in the 1980s. While it may seem silly or childish, it offers a great escape from reality for fans of all ages. Also, for fans of The Walking Dead, actor Stephen Yeun, who plays Glenn, voices one of the characters. Our anonymous contributor says “it’s an animated series for all ages with unique characters and an engaging story; basically a better and more updated Transformers series.”

For Halloween, sophomore Hailey Mallard dressed up as Eleven, a character from Stranger Things.

In conclusion, Netflix is an easier way to watch shows for students with a busy schedule. Its wide selection of movies and TV shows don’t have to cause confusion and indecision. Those who can’t decide on a TV show to watch can start with one of these student-chosen favorites and go from there. With these top choices to guide them, even the most indecisive watchers can begin exploring the many genres Netflix has to offer.