US students host second graders in “dreamcatcher” event

Khashayar Eshaghi, Contributing Writer

On Wednesday, January 25th, the 2nd graders of Saint Stephen’s participated in an inter-divisional collaboration with the upper school students of Mrs. Price’s Mythic Literature class. This English seminar class consists of juniors and seniors who are currently studying the history and culture of the Native Americans.

During the activity, upper school students helped their younger schoolmates to create dreamcatchers. They also taught these 2nd graders more about the history of dreamcatchers and the different Native American tribes in the United States. The young scholars were so excited to be in an upper school classroom and to learn from their new friends. Mrs. Price said: “I think this event turned out very well. Dr. Pullen always characterizes SSES as four divisions, one school, and it was nice to see the harmony between the students from different divisions. My favorite part of the event was when the juniors and seniors took over completely and had everything under control. Mrs. Amos and Mrs. Hamilton [second grade teachers] were satisfied as well, and they invited us to participate in a book-reading activity in the 2nd grade class next time.”

Inter-divisional activities such as Falcon Friends are always beneficial for both younger and older students, and hopefully more activities will be in store at Saint Stephen’s in the future.

Photo credit: D.Glaser
Photo credit: D.Glaser

Photo credit: D.Glaser

Photo credit: D.Glaser