What does your Spotify or Pandora playlist say about you?

A listener’s music selection can offer a glimpse into their personality.

Shreya Patel, Culture Editor

What does your Spotify or Pandora playlist say about you? In need of a few tunes?  Lucky for you, I have compiled a list of the best the from all types of genres.  Students and faculty across the Upper School chose some of their favorite songs to recommend to the rest of the student body. From music to listen to while doing homework, to long road trips visiting colleges, to celebration time on Friday nights, this list has it all. So get your pen and paper ready to jot down these awesome tunes!

Sometimes finding that perfect tune to listen to while doing your homework seems like a difficult task.  Ms. Pommer, our Upper School Librarian, suggested the perfect band to help you get through those long homework days. Bon Iver is an American indie folk band that is great to listen to while working on assignments. She was “forced” to listen to the band on a long road trip with her brother, but grew to love the band.  Ms. Pommer likes “their harmonies and the way that blend into the background music” of the songs. This band doesn’t play anything too crazy, and will help keep your focus on the work at hand. Many of their songs provide a soothing, continuous acoustic sound to keep working to. For those of you who love rock or indie music, Bon Iver provides a productive work environment, and tugs at the heart strings at the same time.

There are some moments in life when we just need to escape from the noise and chaos of the average school day. Ian Sharff recommends Lana Del Rey to help you escape. Lana Del Rey falls under the singer-songwriter category and is known for her smooth, soulful voice. One of her relaxing songs is “Blue Jeans.” Sharff likes this song in particular because it embodies Lana Del Rey’s calm vibes in music. He went on to say “she makes slow music sound so good.”  So while Bon Iver helps fill the silence of long car rides and study time, Lana Del Rey lifts the stress of school off of your shoulders with her smooth and soft voice.

The soft sounds of Lana Del Rey, however, are not for every occasion. In fact, the majority of Mrs.O’Neil’s playlists feature old school dance songs on them. She prefers throwback, especially from the 60s, because “they have this ability to bring people together.” For students, she recommends a classic dance tune, “YMCA.” In fact, the majority of Mrs.O’Neil’s playlists on have old school dance songs on them. She prefers throwback, especially from the 60’s, because “they have this ability to bring people together.” For students, she recommends a classic dance tune, “YMCA.” It’s  fitting because Mrs.O’Neil is known for her specific and easy to follow directions. To listen to these tunes, you can search for a “60s playlist” on your Pandora or find a throwback playlist on Spotify! One reason many enjoy old school dance tunes is because they are easy to dance to and everyone can enjoy them together.

Sometimes, a listener needs some empowering music. Baylee Barker says her go to artist is Beyonce. For Baylee, Beyonce is both gorgeous and and an inspiring woman. Baylee loves her so much so that she does her best to carry around the same confidence as Beyonce in the hallways. One of Baylee’s favorites of Queen B is “Flawless.” The confidence that Beyonce exudes is contagious. In fact, Baylee even said, “I like the song Flawless because it’s about me.” This particular confidence that Beyonce inspires is healthy and should encourage you to add her tunes to your playlist.  Isadora Rosso, eleventh grade, also loves Beyonce’s hit, “Flawless.” She explains, “One of the most incredible aspects about Beyonce as an artist is that she inspires not only girls but also boys to be confident in themselves.”

From chilling to pumping yourself up, the songs mentioned so far will be of great assistance. However, songs find their place for all different moments in life. Mr.Flanigan shared a list of songs that are both calming and enjoyable. Featured on this playlist were songs from The Avett Brothers, Nickel Creek, and The Head and the Heart. The most apparent quality of these songs are that they are honest. So if you are looking for songs with more depth and also that fall under the folk category, these suggestions are perfect for you. In Mr.Flanigan’s eyes, “music is meant to be shared.” These tunes are widely accepted as good music that can be played on the ride to school or while hanging out with your friends.

The music in your playlist can say a lot about you. Variety can reveal your sense of adventure that many of your friends don’t know about. Throwback tunes can show your appreciation for all types of music both new and old. Classic country songs can demonstrate one’s value for honesty and truth as in the lyrics. Wherever you are, whatever you’re doing, the tunes I have provided for you will help brighten up those dull moments in life.