Brother or bother?

Sophia Berry, Staff Writer

Around 80% of Americans have at least one sibling, and I am no exception. As the younger of two, there has always been this annoying presence constantly looking over my shoulder, generally making my life more difficult than it should be, my brother.

Don’t get me wrong, I love my brother, but for most of my young life, I didn’t like my brother. I didn’t really understand how much of an impact he had on me until he left for college. Without him even knowing it, he’s actually taught me to tackle difficult problems, allowed me to socialize effectively, and made me more responsible by watching and imitating him.

Having him around has had a profound effect on my life, from my outside relations to my ability to deal with conflict.

Since I am not the only person in the world with a sibling, I’m not really ‘labeled’ as anything, unlike most only children, since most people tend to think of them as spoiled, attention-seeking, or awkward in social situations. This is because they never had a brother or sister to grow up with, fight with, or learn from. 

Most kids without siblings also tend to have biased opinions of what having a sibling is like. For instance, sophomore Nikole Gaydos said that she thinks that “if you have a sibling either you hate them or you’re best friends.” 

To be honest she’s not entirely wrong. However, many people fall into a middle relationship with their sibling where sometimes they get along and sometimes they don’t.

Maria Erquiaga said, “there are times when I love being in a big family but also times when I wish it weren’t so big.” She is the second oldest of seven and in a big family, it tends to “get a little loud and a little crazy.” 

I only have one brother and while I occasionally get along with him he tends to get on my nerves. 

My dad used to say, “sometimes [your siblings] take your stuff without asking and sometimes your parents have to do stuff for them and not you. [your parents] have to split their attention to accommodate all the demands on their time.” 

While sharing can be annoying it does teach you that there are other people in this world and you can’t be the center of attention all the time. 

My dad, the eldest of five, said.“[Being the eldest sibling] I definitely got in trouble more because I had more responsibility and I had to babysit my siblings or drive them around,” You learn that sometimes you have to take responsibility for yourself and your actions, and look out for your siblings because no one else will. 

Having a sibling forces you to have a relationship with someone for the rest of your life. There is not much that you can do to make them hate you so much they’ll never talk to you again. This means you can act however rudely, or kindly, that you want to your sibling and at the end of the day, you’ll still have to share a bathroom.

Growing up with a brother, I was much better suited to make friends. We fought a lot as kids and still do today, but that probably gave me two of my most important life skills: arguing and being able to be insulted. That kind of sounds bad, but siblings squabble, and after hearing someone yell insults at you, you become better suited to taking them. 

Having more than one sibling is even more different. Not only do you have more people to deal with, but you also have more people to hang out with. Growing up without siblings kind of seems lonely to me. If I was ever bored, I could go and find my brother. If he didn’t want to play with me I’d annoy him until my mom had to intervene. Even though we didn’t get along most of the time, he was still a part of my life, and now that he’s in college, it’s odd not having him around. 

My mom, who grew up as the second eldest of nine, said,  “Most of the time I preferred having siblings. There was always someone to play with growing up, someone to annoy, and now some of my siblings are close friends.”

Most of the time I preferred having siblings. There was always someone to play with growing up, someone to annoy, and now some of my siblings are close friends.

— Margaret Parente

For her, her siblings shaped the way she grew up, and she learned “how to share and how to realize the world doesn’t revolve around you, and also how to negotiate to get what you want and accept it if you don’t. You also learn to not take yourself so seriously.” 

This is something that a lot of only children don’t understand. While being an only child doesn’t necessarily make you spoiled, a lot of times these children have problems accepting that sometimes they won’t get everything they feel they deserve.

Erquiaga said, “It’s interesting because you are working with a lot of people who are really different from you because when you hang out with friends you hang out with people who you have stuff in common with. I hang out with my brother I’m like what are we supposed to talk about. But at the same time, it makes you figure out what common ground you have with everyone. Also, our differences make us reach out to each other more. We have to learn to compromise and get along, or we don’t get along.” 

Siblings teach you to get along with someone who is completely different from you. This is important later on if you’re at school or work, and you have to interact with someone you’ve just met or aren’t really friends with.

I know that some people might think that it would be nice to get all the attention or not have to share a bathroom with your sibling, but to me not having an older brother growing up would have made my life much different. I feel like being an only child would be lonely. There would be no one to hang out with, no one to annoy, and no one who will understand the same experiences you had growing up. Also, there’s no one to ask for advice about life other than your parents. Your parents grew up, went to high school, and applied for college a long time ago, but your sibling went through similar situations much more recently. 

My mom said that she and my father “wanted two children. [They] wanted [my brother and I] to have siblings when [they] were gone.” While a little dark, this is a common factor that brings siblings together when they’re older. Once your parents are gone, you still have a sibling or two that will always be there for you, and who are you are stuck with for the rest of your life. 

While I personally think that having a sibling would be better than being an only child, I don’t really know any other way. I grew up with an older brother, and while I can imagine what it’s like, I’ll never really know. Having a brother has taught me how to get along with people different from myself, made me more conscious of others, and also gave me someone who for the rest of our lives, I’m stuck with.

Would you rather have a sibling or be an only child?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
3