A team manager may be the X-factor your team needs

Team managers, often unsung heroes in the athletics department, can make a world of difference.
Senior+Sarabeth+Wester+%28standing%2C+far+right%29+was+Team+Manager+for+the+U-12+softball+team+that+won+the+Palma+Sola+Park+championship.++The+girls+were+a+major+underdog...+Until+Wester+stepped+up.+
Angela Munson
Senior Sarabeth Wester (standing, far right) was Team Manager for the U-12 softball team that won the Palma Sola Park championship. The girls were a major underdog… Until Wester stepped up.

When you think about a sports team, what aspects come to mind? Probably the hard-working athletes, the inspiring coaches, or even the die-hard fans.

But one aspect of a team that might not come to mind is the team manager; the person behind the scenes, who prepares, motivates, and helps the team ultimately reach success. Although their work remains behind the scenes, team managers are crucial for team development. Whether it’s keeping the game statistics, assisting the coach, or caring for the equipment, they are a necessary element that can really become part of the team.

But beyond that, a team manager can give a team that X factor, the glue that can allow them to bind, the attitude needed to win, and the care that a coach cannot provide alone.

Athletic Director Lenny Paoletti believes in the transformative power of team managers.

“Many times team managers help glue the team together by explaining a coach’s directions and by offering support to a player who is having a bad day or not understanding their role.”

— Kieran Cloutier

According to Paoletti, a manager can effectively assist in communications with the team as a student-manager offers a relatable perspective and voice on how players can best navigate student-athlete life.

“Sometimes, student-to-student communication is more effective,” Paoletti said. “They can assist the coach by keeping the team on track and moving forward. Also, because they watch games & practices, instead of actually participating, they can see the things that the typical player will not see, and they can appreciate the coach’s perspective and communicate that to the players.”

The 2023 Saint Stephen’s softball team is a prime example of the effect a manager can have on team members. Last year, the softball team was a brand new program, with young players who just began playing the game. Senior Sarabeth Wester signed on to be the team manager, and her story was a prime example of the impact a student manager can have on a team.

At first, Wester was unsure of her role.

“I was left alone on a team with a bunch of random middle schoolers who I never met,” Wester said, “and one or two freshmen. I had no clue how to bond with them… I ended up bonding more with the coaches than the girls my first year.”

The girls started off the season with plenty of losses and struggles, including losing four straight games to local powerhouse Chef’s Choice. To say the least, they had a long way to go, and with two coaches who were new to working with middle school, the squad was in need of an X factor.

And that factor was Wester, who consistently improved morale, operated as a friend to the girls, and became a liaison between the players and coaches.

“I was able to take up kind of an older sister role, and I think that’s what set me apart from other managers on other teams…I realized I had an effect on these girls more than just being an older kid chilling on the team.”

Slowly, the girls began winning, and after a strong run through the playoffs, the team arrived at a packed championship game under the lights at Palma Sola with a record of four wins and seven losses.

In the final match of the season, the team again faced off once again against powerhouse Chef’s Choice. But to everyone’s delight, the girls played the best game of their season, finally beating Chef’s Choice and winning the Palma Sola Park Championship.

A member of the 2023 girls’ softball team, Haley Munson knew well about the impact of Wester’s leadership as a team manager.

“She’s really supportive of our team and connects us all,” Munson said, noting the ability Wester had in bringing the team together.

Munson added that her manager also added unique methods for motivating the girls.

To keep them engaged, Munson said Sarabeth even went so far as to “buy us things like smoothies, and it mades us all feel more motivated.”

Wester commented on her use of a carrot to get the team going.

“I bought them smoothies as a reward; before my time as the manager, the girls had a difficult time connecting the ball to the bat.  I would buy players a smoothie for making it to first base.”

Once the team got that down, Wester upped the expectations.

“As the season progressed,” Wester said, “the reward became more difficult. Eventually, the girls had to make it all the way back to home base to earn a smoothie.”

In the end, Wester became a beloved friend to the team and an integral part of the unit.

“She was easy to talk to,” Munson said, “reliable, and a fun person to be around. Many of the players even liked her more than our coach.”

Becoming a manager seems like a demanding challenge, but the role is rewarding. SSES athletic teams are always looking for that team manager who can bring the X-factor, who can take the team to the next level, and who can truly become part of the squad.

For Sarabeth Wester, joining the girls softball team was one of the best decisions she’s made in a while.

“It gave me the opportunity to be a mentor, motivator, and a sister to these girls. I could be having the hardest day of my week, but having practice after school would make it all better when I got to see how they lit up when they saw me.”

3
View Comments (1)
About the Contributor
Kieran Cloutier
Kieran Cloutier, Staff Writer
Kieran Cloutier is a sophomore on the Gauntlet in his first year as a staff writer. His favorite color is blue and he has a hamster named Nugget. His favorite movies are Napoleon Dynamite and The Dark Knight

• SarabethJan 23, 2024 at 7:09 pm

Hey that’s me

Reply