Boys golf wins regional title, head to states

The boys golf team has cemented their spot as one of the top teams on campus.
The+boys+golf+team+won+the+Region+3+championship+on+Tuesday+at+the+Valencia+Golf+and+Country+Club+in+Naples.++Coach+Judy+Carlson+proudly+holds+the+trophy.+
Judy Carlson
The boys golf team won the Region 3 championship on Tuesday at the Valencia Golf and Country Club in Naples. Coach Judy Carlson proudly holds the trophy.

The boys golf team is on to States once again. On Tuesday in Naples at the Valencia Golf and Country Club, the boys competed for the regional title and once again, the Falcons came out on top. 

The boys won in exciting fashion over the likes of Berkeley Prep, Cardinal Mooney, Bradenton Christian School, along with seven other contenders.   

Despite tough competition extending to twelve schools and 70 players. The Falcons soared with quality performances from team captain Alex Long, who shot a 68, and freshman Andy Dai, who shot a 69. 

Athletic Director Lenny Paoletti talked about the level of golf being played this year on the boys team.  

“To not only win this event, but to also have two of our golfers place 1st & 2nd really says a lot about their level of their game.”

Senior captain Alex Long was proud of the way the team rose to the occasion.  

“The team performed really well, we knew the competition would be tough, but we came together as a team, and everyone stepped up when they had to.”

The boys golf team left for Naples the day before the match to prepare for the course. And the practice paid off when they shot a collective of 291, four strokes under second place Berkeley Prep. 

According to Long, at the start of the season the team was just a bunch of individuals.  But that dynamic has shifted as the result of rigorous training and real team bonding.  

Coach Judy Carlson was most proud of the team’s supportive mentality.  

This is an amazing group of boys,” Carlson said. “They are dedicated and hardworking. They practice everyday. They are truly a team. They always step up to support each other.”

But Carlson said the success of the program wouldn’t be possible without the additional support that is coming from outside of the team.

“The support from the school and from the parents has been phenomenal,” Carlson said.  

The boys golf team is now preparing for states in Lakeland, which will be held on November 13th and 14th. Go Falcons!