Saint Stephen’s welcomes danish sister-school

Today, students from our Danish sister school, Eisbjerghus Internationale Efterskole, arrived at Saint Stephen’s for the third time.
Kavi Riedi
Freddy the Falcon welcomes our danish sister-school students.

Every year, our students have the option to host an exchange student from one of our sister schools. This week, Saint Stephens welcomed students from our Danish sister school, Eisbjerghus Internationale Efterskole. The visit is part of the larger Global Initiative here at SSES. Saint Stephen’s believes that by partnering with our global partner schools around the globe, our students will become “globally-competent citizens.”

The Danish students arrived today and will stay with their Falcon hosts until November 5th. Our relationship with Eisbjerghus Internationale Efterskole began in 2018, and since their school focuses on global communications, it was a great partner for our school. Danish visitors and their SSES hosts have a week packed with activities.

Mrs. Cotton and Mrs. Hambrick, the Global Education Coordinators, created an itinerary with the goal of introducing the Danes to to the American lifestyle and the SSES community. Some of the major activities that the students will embark on include kayaking through the mangroves; interviews with the famed news sit The Gauntlet (yours truly); touring the Bishop Museum; painting pumpkins for Halloween; and lastly, a Saint Stephen’s playoff football game.

Mrs. Cotton has high hopes that the host students will create everlasting friendships with their exchange buddies.

“What we want is for those relationships to last and for any misconceptions that the Danish students have to be answered.”

Sophomore Kian Riedi stepped in to fill the last spot for hosting a Danish student this year. He is very eager to learn about Danish culture. He was already in touch with his exchange student, and they both can’t wait to meet.

“I hope I give them a true experience of what it is to be living as an American citizen.”

What Kian is most excited about is having them experience an American tradition called Halloween. One of the host families is gathering all the exchange and host students, so they can all experience the festivity of trick-or-treating.

Isabelle Mills, a current 9th grader, is also very excited about the Danish students’ arrival. She really wants to know more about Danish culture and how their way of life differs from that of America. She wants to build a successful relationship with her buddy and make the whole experience one to remember.

Mills and her family decided to do a get-together for all the host families on Halloween.

“I am very excited to be hosting a Halloween get-together for all the Danish students, so they would get to experience an American tradition.”

The Danish students will be on campus this week; if you see them, go up and introduce yourself and make them feel welcome into the Saint Stephen’s community!

3